Friday, March 21, 2014

50 Most Underrated Albums of the '2000s: #49

49. Big K.R.I.T.-K.R.I.T. Wuz Here (2010)
When Outkast went on hiatus in 2006, southern hip-hop lost the leading voice and real spokesmen for the scene. After years of lacking a true leader, Mississippi MC Big K.R.I.T. (King Remembered in Time) filled the void that Outkast left in southern hip-hop when they stopped making music with his breakout 2010 mixtape K.R.I.T Wuz Here. K.R.I.T.'s music embodies everything that southern hip-hop is supposed to- catchy hooks, infectious confidence from the artist and beats that will shake the living shit out of any subwoofer. K.R.I.T. spends the entire 73-minute duration of the tape not only coming out as the new voice of the dirty south scene, but showing his incredible versatility as an artist. K.R.I.T. Wuz Here features everything from anthematic odes to all things southern (the infectious "Country Shit") to brags about his rapping ability ("See Me on Top") to heartfelt and insightful looks at growing up poor and how that environment effects the people who live in it ("Children of the World"). In an age where trap rap has taken over the south, it's refreshing to see a guy like K.R.I.T. not giving in to the trends and sticking to the roots of old-school southern hip-hop.
 
Standout Tracks
1.Country Shit
2.Children of the World
3.Viktorious    

No comments:

Post a Comment