Friday, April 27, 2012

Quick Movie Reviews: The Darkest Hour, The Descendants, The Sitter

The Darkest Hour: Surprisingly decent. The concept was pretty original for an alien movie and it was entertaining throughout. I think I ended up enjoying it as much as I did because I thought it was going to be like 2010's god awful Skyline, but thankfully it wasn't. The invisible aliens seemed to piss a lot of people off, but I was fine with it. I can't think of another time were invisible aliens have been used, so kudos to the writers for thinking a bit outside the box. The cast wasn't too shabby either. Emile Hirsch and Olivia Thrilby did a serviceable job as the main leads and the rest of the cast does a good enough job as well. It's definitely not without it's flaws, but it surpassed my expectations by far.
3/5 Stars

The Descendants: I did not expect to like this at all. This is actually the first Alexander Payne movie I've seen that I've actually liked! The acting was great and the script was smart, emotional, and funny. George Clooney was in absolute top-form. His character is left to care for his daughters after tragedy strikes and Clooney really gets into the transformation his character makes from start to finish. Shailene Woodley also gives an outstanding performance. She definitely cemented herself as a young actress to watch in the coming years. This really is a great movie that lived up to the award-buzz it garnered. Best movie out of the Oscar-nominated films from 2011 that I've seen so far (with the exception of Moneyball)
4/5 Stars

The Sitter: Slightly disappointing, but still pretty funny. Of course it's stupid and crass, but that's exactly what this movie was supposed to be. It's pretty much the R-rated version of Adventures in Babysitting. Unfortunately, most of the best parts are in the red band trailer. Not a game changing comedy at all, but still worth a watch if you're a fan of Jonah Hill.
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment