Friday, June 29, 2012

Movie Review: Wrath of the Titans

I was one of the twelve people that liked the the Clash of the Titans remake in 2010, so naturally I was excited for the sequel Wrath of the Titans. The trailer was very promising and I was very intrigued where they were going to take the story since they were no longer working off  the source material of the 1981 film. Unfortunately, Wrath of the Titans is a step-down from it's predecessor in almost every way. Plain and simple, the story just isn't as engaging as the first one. The plot is simple (like I expected) and not executed in the greatest fashion, Zeus (Liam Nesson) is kidnapped by Hades (Ralph Finnes) and Poseidon's son Ares (Edgar Ramirez)  in attempt to drain his power to revive Kronos, Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades father, which would destroy the whole world and it's up to Zeus's half-human, half-god son Perseus (Sam Worthington) to stop them.You know there's a problem when the subplot involving Zeus and Hades bickering at each other while Zeus is captured is more intriguing than Perseus's quest to rescue his father. The acting is sort of a problem here too. It's not really any of the returning actors, but Rosamund Pike and the normally great Bill Nighy are awful. Nighy is horrible as Hephaestus (stupid side note: For whatever reason he looks like Dumbledore from Harry Potter ), the god of technology, who serves as kind of a guide to Perseus on his journey. Thankfully it's only a bit part because the movie became worse every minute he was on-screen. Just like Jonathan Libesman's last film Battle: Los Angeles, This film is saved by the action. The action here is intense and the effects are stunning. About the only place where Wrath improves over Clash is in the final battle scene. The big battle end is grand and well-done not anticlimatic and disapointing like the Kraken battle in Clash. That really is enough on it's own to warrant a mild recommendation. It's far from brilliant and it's definitely worse than Clash, but Wrath of the Titans is somewhat entertaining and is able to scrape by with it's great action scenes and visual effects.

3/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I haven’t seen the movie, but I probably wouldn’t buy it judging from the mixed reviews on Wrath of the Titans. I’ve asked many friends and Dish coworkers and some say it was good, while some say the only thing good about it was the special effects. I could see that, too. However, I would still like to rent the movie just to I can form my own thoughts about it. I’ve actually already added Wrath of the Titans to my Blockbuster @Home queue, and since special effects are the strong point of the movie, I’ll get it on Blu-Ray. At least I’ll have an idea of what to expect! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete