Saturday, December 1, 2012

December in Film

December brings a close to a great year of films. It also brings a slate of very intriguing movies to end the year on. Here are my thoughts on the crop of December releases.

Films I want to see:
6.The Guilt Trip (12/19)-This movie looks like a good old-fashioned, fun,  road trip comedy. The trailer is amusing, Seth Rogen and Barbara Streisand seem like are a great comedy pairing, and writer Dan Fogelman wrote last year's surprisingly very funny Crazy, Stupid, Love. Should be an enjoyable comedy that is perfect for the holiday season.

5.The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (12/14)- I am no where near as excited as I should be for The Hobbit, but since I loved the first Lord of the Rings movies, I will absolutely still see this.

4.Jack Reacher (12/21)-Tom Cruise is back in ass-kicking mode, which is always a good thing. This is a cool-looking thriller with an interesting premise and a proven writer/director in Christopher McQuarrie. Sounds like a winner to me.

3.Zero Dark Thirty (12/19 limited)-Katheryn Bigelow follows up The Hurt Locker with a film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. Naturally with Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal teamed again on a military thriller, There is a lot of potential for another brilliant movie to be made. The outstanding early reception has pretty much confirmed my hunch to be true.

2.This is 40 (12/21)-Judd Apatow is one of my favorite directors of all-time and another chapter of the Paul Rudd/Leslie Mann characters from Knocked Up. Besides Rudd, Mann, and Jason Segel returning, The cast adds a lot of talent including John Lithgow, Albert Brooks, Chris O'Dowd, and Mellisa McCarthy. This is one of my anticipated movies of the year and if It's even half as good as Knocked Up, I will be happy.

1.Django Unchained (12/25)-This is not only my most anticipated of the month, It's my most anticipated of the whole year. Saying I'm excited for this movie would be a gross understatement. Quentin Tarantino is my favorite director of all-time, the plot/trailer are amazing, and the cast is full of amazing actors including Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo Decaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, and Jonah Hill. I'll be stunned if this isn't one of the best movies of the year.

Films I'm not sure about:
Parental Guidance (12/25)-It seems harmless enough and it's good to see Billy Crystal back on the big screen, but it doesn't really look like anything special.

Films I have zero interest in:
Playing for Keeps (12/7)-Despite a pretty talented cast, This about as stale and generic-looking as romantic comedies come.

Les Miserables (12/25)-Here comes my musical bias again, Musicals are my kryptonite 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment