Monday, July 2, 2012

July In Film

July might prove to be the most successful box-office month of the summer with many huge releases on deck this month. Hopefully July can continue the trend of quality films this year (which shouldn't be too hard because July has a lot of films with potential). Here my thoughts on the entire slate of July films.

Films I want to see:
3.Savages (7/6)-I am not a big fan of Oliver Stone, but this movie looks to be entertaining as all hell. I love gritty, super-violent movies like this and it's been a while since Stone has done anything like this. Throw in the early postive reviews and a great cast including Aaron Johnson, Bencio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, John Travolta, and Blake Lively and we could have a gem on our hands here.

2.The Watch (7/27)-This movie looks to be incredibly hilarious. Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill, and Vince Vaughn are all really funny and this movie was written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who are one of the best writing pairs in Hollywood in my opinion. This very well could be one of the funniest films of 2012 if it's as good as I think it will be.

1.The Dark Knight Rises (7/20)-Even though The Dark Knight disappointed me (It was still excellent, I just didn't think it was the best thing ever like a lot of people did), I am still excited as hell for The Dark Knight Rises. Christopher Nolan can do almost nothing wrong and the additions of Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, and Joesph Gordon-Levitt to the cast make this even better. I have no doubt that Nolan will close out his Batman trilogy well, We'll just have to wait and see just how well.

Films I am not sure about:
The Amazing Spider-Man (7/3)-I am still against rebooting the Spider-Man franchise after only ten years. Even though Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel superhero, I just can't get really excited about The Amazing Spider-Man. The trailers are just alright and I don't really like the narrative direction they are following in this movie. My gut feeling is that it will be a decent, but ultimately unmemorable comic book film (Much like last year's Captain America: The First Avenger). I will still see it, but definitely not in theaters.

Ice Age: Continental Drift (7/13)-I haven't seen the full-length trailer for this movie and I didn't see the last one (The second installment Ice Age: The Meltdown I didn't like at all though), so I can't really say much too about it. From what I have seen, It doesn't look too bad, but I highly doubt I will ever see it.

Films I have zero interest in seeing:
Katy Perry: Part of Me (7/5)-I enjoy Katy Perry's music about as much I as I enjoy being waterboarded so this is an obvious pass for me.

Step Up: Revolution (7/27)-I can't even believe there is a fourth one of these movies. I will admit (shamefully) that I kind of liked the first one, but this is just getting stupid by now. There's only so much you can do with this concept and that has been long accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment