Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January in Film

New year, another year of films with a lot of intrigue and hype surrounding them. Of course, the barren wasteland of January starts off the year and this year, doesn't even look like it has an absolute gem to break up the monotony like the few January's have had. Here are my thoughts on all of January's wide releases (excluding Lone Survivor, Her, August: Osage County and Labor Day, which all expanded wide this month but were released in December.)  

Films I want to see:
2.Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (1/17): I haven't seen any of the previous entries in the series, but this Jack Ryan reboot looks pretty damn cool. With a talented actor like Chris Pine playing the title character and an experienced action director in Kenneth Branagh at the helm, this is one of the very few early-month films that could be a home run.
 
1.Ride Along (1/17): The teaming of Kevin Hart and Ice Cube has me sold. Hart is such a great standup comedian that is just waiting to breakout in film while Cube has displayed his comedy chops in various films for almost 20 years now. Hart and Cube certainly have the potential to be a great comedy team and that alone has be really excited for this film.

Films I'm not sure on:
I, Frankenstein (1/24): I'm a sucker for action-horror films a la Underworld and I, Frankenstein certainly looks the part with its dark setting and stylized action shown in the trailer. The only reason this isn't a must-see for me is the questionable personnel involved on both sides of the camera and the fact it has been delayed numerous times. I'll probably end up checking it out because there isn't much coming out that even piques my interest at this point of the year, but I'm certainly skeptical.

That Awkward Moment (1/31): The redband trailer offered up a few laughs and I do like Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan, the problem is that this may end up being too formulaic to be enjoyable.

Films I have zero interest in:
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (1/3): Looks like a cheap spinoff of the other Paranormal Activity films. I'm not really a fan of the original franchise, so there's really no need for me to check out the spinoff.

The Legend of Hercules (1/10): Way to go Lionsgate getting ahead of the curve and releasing this before Dwayne Johnson's big-budget Hercules movie comes out in August. This movie looked pretty bad to me from the start then I found it was directed by burnout Renny Harlin and any blind hope I had for this immediately vanished. If I want to see a Hercules movie this year, I'll wait till August and smell what The Rock is cooking.

Devil's Due (1/17): Oh sweet another found-footage demonic possession horror film.... Pass

The Nut Job (1/17): Let's just say I'm not the intended audience for a movie about squirrels robbing a nut store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment