Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April in Film

This April has a bit more of a early-summer feel to it with a few tentpole films on top of the typical mid-level fare that April spawns. Here are my thoughts on the entire crop of April's wide releases.

Films I want to see:
3.Transcendence (4/18): The concept of Transcendence is undeniably fascinating and mind-bending; which isn't much of a surprise for the directorial debut of Christopher Nolan's longtime cinematographer Wally Pfster.  It's also good to see Johnny Depp leading a non-quirky vehicle for once and, Cillian Murphy finally re-appearing on the big screen.

2.Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4/4): The first Captain America was one of the most forgettable entries in all of Marvel's vast filmography. Despite my opinion on the first one, I'm still pretty excited about the new installment,  The Winter Solider. All the footage I've seen from it looks much better than its predecessor plus the early reception has been overwhelmingly positive.  

1.Draft Day (4/11): I'm probably the only moron that's super excited about Draft Day. I nerd out about the NFL Draft every single year so the fact that they're making a film centered around the drafting process is absolutely awesome news to me. The talented cast including Kevin Costner, Frank Langella, Jennifer Garner, Chadwick Boseman and Denis Leary only sweetens the deal.

Films I'm not sure on:
Oculus (4/11): Oculus doesn't look too out of the ordinary for a supernatural horror film with a concept involving a murderous deity haunting a home and a trailer loaded with cheap jump scares. That being said, the reception on the film festival circuit has been through the roof praising the film's creativity and eerie atmosphere. Hopefully Oculus can be like The Conjuring last year and actually live up to the hype surrounding it.

Rio 2 (4/11): The first Rio was actually a decent film, but the sequel really doesn't look all that great to me.

Brick Mansions (4/24): I'll probably end up seeing Brick Mansions because it's the last film Paul Walker completed before he passed away. The only reason this isn't a must see for me is because Luc Besson is responsible for the screenplay and, his current streak of writing poor films is a bit discouraging.

The Other Woman (4/24): I can not even begin to explain why The Other Woman doesn't look awful to me. I'm mildly ashamed of myself that I haven't written off seeing this yet. Damn you Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann for clouding my judgement with you're collective attractiveness!

The Quiet Ones (4/24): The Quiet Ones is another not-so-original looking horror film being released this month, but the really creepy atmosphere the trailer gives off could make it worth a watch.

Films I have zero interest in:
Heaven is For Real (4/16): Christian-based inspirational dramas just don't do for it me.

Bears (4/18): I'm sure if you love cute animal films, Bears will be a great time at the movies. I'm just not one of those people who enjoys these types of Disney animal documentaries.

A Haunted House 2 (4/18): The existence of this film just makes me sad because the first two Scary Movie films that the Wayans' brothers were behind were very funny. With the existence of the Haunted House films, I now know that Marlon Wayans was not responsible for a majority of the good gags in Scary Movie 1 or 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment