Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Best and Worst of John Malkovich

The "Best and Worst" series profiles the best and worst work of an actor starring in one of the week's new theatrical releases. This week I take a look at the filmography of "Deepwater Horizon" star John Malkovich.

Films starring John Malkovich that I've seen:
Con Air
Rounders
Being John Malkovich
Johnny English
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Eragon
Beowulf
Burn After Reading
Jonah Hex
Red 
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Warm Bodies
Red 2

Best Performance: Red (2010)
Malkovich has become one of Hollywood's most respected character actors in large part due to his natural zaniness and there is no greater display of his lovable eccentricity than his performance in the action comedy Red. As paranoid, borderline insane retired black ops agent Marvin Boggs, Malkovich provides the film with a special comedic spark that keeps the film afloat through its rough narrative-driven patches.

Worst Performance: Jonah Hex (2010)
Malkovich's performance in Jonah Hex is a tragic example of an innovator in the art of over-the-top acting taking their precious artform too far. He turned a role that should've been very entertaining (a former Confederate war general who plans to blow up the White House after stealing a classified government weapon) into an obnoxious, overly silly character that made me facepalm every time he appeared on screen.  

Best Film: Con Air (1997)
I wasn't exposed to Con Air until last year and I honestly kind of hate myself for waiting so long to check it out. This film is what B-action enthusiasts like myself live for. The cast is full of actors who are down for whatever nonsense the script throws at them, the action sequences are exhilarating and most importantly, it's fun as hell from start to finish. It's a shame that the practice of studios putting self-aware, big budget trash isn't nearly as prevalent today because I need more films like Con Air in my life ASAP. 

Worst Film: The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
I went on a lengthy rant about this steaming turd of a movie in my piece on the late Alan Rickman's career back in March, so I promised I'll scale back on the vitriol this time around. The relentless pretension and onslaught of faux-clever jokes made watching The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy about as enjoyable as passing golf ball-sized kidney stones.
 
Thank you for reading this week's installment of "The Best and Worst of". Next week, I'll take a look at the best and worst work of  "The Girl on the Train" star Emily Blunt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment