Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Album Review: Red Hot Chili Peppers- I'm With You

It's been a while since we have heard from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It's been five years since their incredibly disappointing double-album Stadium Arcadium was released and I was surprised how quiet they have been since then. I didn't even know they were making a new record until a few months ago. With my disliking of Stadium Arcadium, I had low expectations for I'm With You and it didn't do much to surpass them.

I'm With You is one of the most sub-par albums ever made. Each and every song is mediocre. A few songs ("Brendan's Death Song", "Factory Of Faith", "Did I Let You Know"), had some good elements, but even those songs were still average. It just seems like they threw together random elements from their past few albums, but forgot to throw in the spark that made their older material great. Anthony Kedis is still a good vocalist, it just seems like he is going through the motions. He kind of just coasts through the whole album with little to no effort. The band still has a lot of talent too, it's just that music (for the most part) they are writing isn't anything special. New guitarist Josh Klingoffer is certainly a competent replacement for John Frusciante. He did bring some life into the Chili Peppers sound at times during this album with some funky riffs that Stadium Arcadium was sorely lacking, but those moments are (sadly) few and far between.

I'm With You is a the epitome of mediocrity. None of the songs on here really seem to go anywhere and lack a clear vision. This is an album that is made completely out of spare parts and there is none of the spark and energy that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are known for. It's really not a bad album (I liked it better than Stadium Arcadium), it's just so average that I can't get enthused about it. I'm With You kind of falls flat as a whole and if this the "rebirth" of the Chili Peppers, I think they might never make great music again.

2.5/5 Stars

Standout Tracks
1.Brendan's Death Song
2.Factory Of Faith
3.Did I Let You Know

No comments:

Post a Comment