Thursday, August 25, 2011

Movie Review: Conan The Barbarian (Film Number 12 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

Conan The Barbarian is among the first 2011 films that I did not want to see that ended up being enjoyable. I will admit, Conan The Barbarian is a completely stupid film (that's obvious), but that doesn't mean it's not fun. My expectations were pretty low going in, but if you take it for what it is, it's a pretty solid film. It has a B-movie vibe written all over it. Jason Momoa is gloriously corny and expressionless as Conan or in other words, he nailed the role. Stephen Lang and Rose McGowan provide more camp value as the film's two villains. Lang comes across obnoxious as always. McGowan, on the other hand,  turns in solid-B movie performance as the half-witch/half-human daughter of Lang's characterOf course, what makes Conan fun is the action. During the near-two hour runtime, Conan packs action into every corner of the film. The battle scenes are campy, gory fun and they are pretty much non-stop. Marcus Nispel set out to make this a campy, brainless, entertaining, old-school action film and he succeeded. The one downside to Conan is the 3D. If you are going to see this movie, please see it in 2D. This has to be the worst 3D I have ever seen. There is next to nothing in 3D for most of this movie, Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves for making theaters charge the extra $4 or $5 bucks to see it in 3D. It's a sham, thank god I saw this for free. I would been livid if I paid 15 bucks to see this film in 3D.  Conan is not brilliant, high-art by any means, but I found to be a lot better than it was made out to be.

3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment