Thursday, February 28, 2013

March in Film

March ushers in the two-month transitional between the dead of winter and the start of summer blockbuster season in May with a combination of huge tentpole and mid-budget releases. Here are my thoughts on the large slate of March films.

Films I want to see:
6.Dead Man Down (3/8):This is a pretty cool looking noir-thriller with a solid cast and a talented director. Colin Farrell is on a hot streak right now and this film has the all the makings to keep that quality streak going.

5.Olympus Has Fallen (3/22):It's been a while since we've had a White House-takeover movie and this is the first of two to be released this year. Olympus Has Fallen is more intriguing to me than June's White House Down due to the presence of director Antoine Fuqua. Fuqua's last film, Brooklyn's Finest, was a bit of a letdown, but I expect him to recover with this film. Fuqua is one of the best directors at handling action in Hollywood and the trailer looks like a good time. It also doesn't hurt that the always great Morgan Freeman and Aaron Eckhart are cast in major roles.

4.The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (3/15): The trailer is solid albeit not great, but this film still has the potential to be completely hilarious given the amount of comedic talent involved. I mean Steve Carrell, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi and Alan Arkin in the same movie? Sign me up!

3.Spring Breakers (3/22):This looks like a completely batshit crazy movie and I'm sure it is with Harmony Korine at the helm. I'm curious to see how Selena Gomez fares in a way off-type role and James Franco's character looks highly entertaining. I'm expecting pure chaos, hopefully it doesn't disappoint

2.G.I Joe: Retaliation (3/29): I was one of the handful of people who liked the first installment, so naturally I'm excited for the sequel. This one looks way better than the original and the additions of action superstars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Bruce Wills is just plain awesome. The clip I saw in IMAX 3D last month was badass and stunning visually so hopefully that will lead to a great, mindless, pre-summer blockbuster action film.

1.The Place Beyond the Pines (3/29):This film is one of the more intriguing of the year. The cast is loaded with talent including Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper in the lead roles (who are two of the best working actors in Hollywood in my opinion) as well as up-and comer Dane DeHann and grizzled veterans Ray Liotta and Bruce Greenwood in the supporting cast. The early reception on the film festival circuit has been excellent and the premise seems very interesting. This has all the makings of a top-notch crime drama filled with incredible performances.

Films I'm not sure about:
Jack the Giant Slayer (3/1):The early reception has been surprisingly good and that paired with a strong cast and director Bryan Singer definitely makes for some potential. At the same time though, this film looks pretty dumb and I still don't see how they can successfully make Jack and the Beanstalk into a feature-length film. Might check it out on DVD, but I'm leaning towards no at the moment.

21 and Over (3/1):I am a big fan of R-rated raunchy comedies, but this film doesn't really look that funny. This love of R-rated comedies and lack of said comedies so far this year will probably drive me to see this at some point, but I'm not expecting much.

Oz: The Great and Powerful (3/8):Oz: The Great and Powerful is a film I'm really hesitant to see, but at the same time I kind have to check it out. I don't want to see it because it looks like a carbon-copy of Tim Burton's acid-trip version of Alice in Wonderland. I do want to see it because of the great cast and more importantly, to see what visionary director Sam Rami did with the story of Oz. This film has loaded me with simultaneous curiosity and skepticism. Either way, It shall be interesting to see how it plays out.

Admission (3/22): I am a big fan of Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, but this film looks kind of middling and too indie for either of them.

The Host (3/29): The premise is intriguing, but considering it's based on a book by Twilight author Stephanie Meyer, I definitely have my reservations about seeing it.

Film I have zero interest in:
The Last Exorcism Part II (3/1): I've heard the original is absolutely abysmal and the exorcism genre has been stale for a LONG time.

The Call (3/15): Halle Berry has really fallen on hard times. I can't remember the last time she was in anything that wasn't X-Men related that was even remotely good and this cheap-looking thriller seems to continue the (mostly) awful streak she has been on since she won an Oscar for her performance in Monster's Ball way back in 2001.

The Croods (3/22): Pretty weak looking animated film with surprisingly poor animation. Not even seeing Nicolas Cage voice a caveman will get me to see this one.

Temptations of a Marriage Counselor (3/29): Tyler Perry strikes again! Pass.....

No comments:

Post a Comment