Monday, March 24, 2014

R.I.P. Dave Brockie (Oderus Urangus from GWAR)

The entire metal community was shocked to hear early Monday morning that GWAR Frontman Dave Brockie- who went by the stage name of Oderus Urangus- had been found dead in his Richmond, Virginia apartment of unknown causes. He was 50. Brockie made a huge impact on the scene with GWAR, a satirical thrash metal act that claimed they were aliens that hailed from the planet of Scumdogia. Brockie was also the driving force behind the band's live shows, which became notorious for their on-stage murder of various celebrities and political figures as well as dousing the audience in fake blood, jizz or whatever other liquid they felt like covering people in. The news of Brockie's passing made me incredibly sad that I passed up the numerous opportunities I had to see GWAR live in the past several years. I had heard so much about the fun and wild nature of their shows and it sucks that I never got the chance to see one of their twisted performances in person before Brockie passed. Brockie's wit and delightfully morbid sense of humor was unique in a scene that often takes itself too seriously. He will be sorely missed by everyone in the metal community and my thoughts are with his family at this time of mourning. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment