Saturday, March 1, 2014

March in Film

After a slow start to the year, March opens the doors for some bigger and more exciting films to enter the cinematic marketplace. Here are my thoughts on all of March's wide releases.

Films I want to See:
6.Bad Words (3/14 limited, 3/28 wide): Jason Bateman's directorial debut looks to be an amusing dark comedy romp similar to films like Bad Santa and Horrible Bosses (which Bateman also starred in). Hopefully Bateman's on screen talent can translate to behind the camera.

5.Muppets Most Wanted (3/21): The last Muppets film in 2011 was pretty amusing and this looks to be similarly enjoyable with the writers of the previous installment returning and a cast featuring premier comedic talents such as Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais and Ty Burell.

4.Need for Speed (3/14): Yes it looks similar to the Fast and Furious films, but that doesn't mean it looks bad in the slightest. It should be interesting to see how Aaron Paul handles the role of an action hero and director Scott Waugh (Act of Valor) does at the helm of a big budget film.

3.Sabotage (3/28): Arnold Schwarzenegger has been on point since his acting comeback in 2012 and Sabotage looks to be another fun, grimy action film from the B-movie icon. Only downside is the involvement of screenwriter Skip Woods- who is fresh off tainting the legacy of the Die Hard franchise  with last year's colossal letdown A Good Day to Die Hard-with the project.

2.Noah (3/28): The story of Noah's ark being brought to the big screen would typically not interest me at all. But when you put the iconic Biblical story in the hands of a director like Darren Aronofsky, my interest is piqued. Nothing I've seen on the film so far looks particularly fantastic though I remain hopeful that Aronofsky can do something special with this subject matter.

1.300: Rise of an Empire (3/7): I feel like it's 2007 again when I see the promotional material for 300: Rise of an Empire. The first 300 remains one of my favorite films of all-time, and with Zach Snyder's stamp still all over this film despite the fact that he's not directing it, my hopes are very high for the return of the Spartan army.

Films I'm unsure on:
Divergent (3/21): The concept is certainly intriguing and there is a lot of potential in this series with Shailene Woodley in the lead role, I'm just not completely sold on the quality of this film from the marketing and middling screenwriting team behind it.

Films I have zero interest in:
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (3/7): Quite simply this just doesn't look funny or charming to me.

Tyler Perry's Single Moms Club (3/14): I'd like to thank Tyler Perry for confirming that Nia Long and Amy Smart are still working actors. Mr. Perry, if you can track down Regina King and Jenna Elfman for your next project; I'd greatly appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment