Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Best and Worst of Mel Gibson

The "Best and Worst" series profiles the best and worst work of an actor starring in one of the week's new theatrical releases. This week I take a look at the filmography of "Daddy's Home 2" star Mel Gibson.

Films starring Mel Gibson that I've seen:
Mad Max
Lethal Weapon
Hamlet
Braveheart
Pocahontas 
Chicken Run
Signs
Edge of Darkness
The Beaver
Get the Gringo
Machete Kills
The Expendables 3
Blood Father

Best Performance: Lethal Weapon (1987)
The 80's birthed a plethora of phenomenal action heroes and Martin Riggs is near the top of that hallowed list. Gibson's combination of wiseass charisma and livewire energy made Riggs a screen icon and helped turn Lethal Weapon into a highly successful franchise. 

Worst Performance: Hamlet (1990)
Enlisting an actor that's renowned for his action roles to play the title in a Shakespearian tragedy is one of the more hilarious miscastings I've ever come across in a film. Gibson lacks the theatrical flare and overwhelming seriousness that's required to convincingly perform Shakespeare's work.  

Best Film: Braveheart (1995)
I completely understand why Braveheart is widely viewed as an overrated film. It's relentless corny, boasts a nearly 3-hour runtime and the historical accuracy is questionable at best. That being said, I found Braveheart to be a near-perfect historical epic. This simple story of a man fighting makes for what he believes in is remarkably compelling and the battle scenes are some of the most impressive grand-scale action sequences ever put on film.     

Worst Film: Mad Max (1979)
If you've been reading my blog or know me personally, you're well aware that I LOVE action movies. Almost nothing on this earth delights me more than mainlining the biggest, loudest and dumbest pieces of violent entertainment that Hollywood has offered up over the years. Because of this intense fandom, I tend to get irrationally pissed off when I watch a movie that I feel betrays the spirit and purpose of the genre. The source of this unfortunate tendency can be attributed to lifeless piles of garbage like Mad Max. George Miller's carsploitation "classic" commits all the cardinal sins of action filmmaking by being painfully boring, taking itself way too seriously and delivering a string of repetitive chase scenes that are about as exciting as a trip to the grocery store. I'd be genuinely stunned if I ever stumbled upon another movie that I found to be more overrated than this cinematic sewage plant. 

Thank you for reading this week's installment of "The Best and Worst of". Next week, I'll take a look at the best and worst work of "Justice League" star Wilem Dafoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment