Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Best and Worst of Oscar Issac

"The Best and Worst of" series chronicles the career highlights and lowlights of an actor starring in one of the week's new theatrical releases. This week, I take a look at the filmography of "Annihilation" star Oscar Issac.

Films starring Oscar Issac that I've seen:
All About the Benjamins
Body of Lies
Robin Hood
Sucker Punch
Drive
The Bourne Legacy
Inside Llewyn Davis
A Most Violent Year
Ex Machina
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
X-Men: Apocalypse 
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Best Performance: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
To be completely honest, Sucker Punch and Drive are the only films that I semi-remember Issac being in before 2013. That level of relative anonymity immediately went away after I saw Inside Llewyn Davis in early January 2014. Issac's absorbing performance anchored this bleak, brilliant character study from the Coen Brothers about a struggling New York folk singer in the early 1960's.

Worst Performance: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
When Issac was first announced as one of the stars of the new Star Wars trilogy, I was legitimately stoked. Based on his terrific performances in Ex Machina, A Most Violent Year and the aforementioned Inside Llewyn Davis, I figured he would be one of the best parts of the latest voyages to a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Oh how naïve I was. Poe Dameron is nothing but a dollar store Han Solo and his obnoxious presence got kicked into the overdrive thanks to the shitty Disney-mandated jokes Rian Johnson slipped into The Last Jedi. I'm thrilled that I only have to watch this insufferable space aviation jabroni stink up the screen for one more movie.

Best Film: Ex Machina (2015)
The term mindfuck was created to describe films like Ex Machina. Veteran screenwriter Alex Garland's (28 Days Later, Dredd) directorial debut is a twisty, smart and perfectly-acted sci-fi flick that made me absolutely horrified about what the future of technology holds. 

Worst Film: The Bourne Legacy (2012)
The Bourne Legacy is so mediocre from top-to-bottom that it's almost impressive. The most memorable aspect of the movie was the immediate confusion that set in when the credits started to roll and I legitimately couldn't remember 99.9% of what I had just watched. Kudos to Tony Gilroy for making the most inconsequential espionage action "thriller" of all-time.

Thank you for reading this week's installment of "The Best and Worst of". The next victim of my praise and ire will be "Death Wish" star Mike Epps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment