Thursday, May 27, 2010

Album Review: Bullet For My Valentine-Fever



Bullet For My Valentine has never really been one of my favorite metal acts. I mean don't get me wrong I always thought they were pretty good. I enjoyed their prior two records 2005's The Poison and 2008's Scream Aim Fire but on their new release Fever they take a step back for sure.

This album is all over the place for one. They really can't decide what direction they want to go in. This works very well for some bands but it is a mixed bag for Bullet. There are some definite solid tracks that is just as good as their older material("The Last Fight" and "Alone") as well as some utter trash ("Pleasure and Pain","Bittersweet Memories") but mainly there is a lot of mediocrity on this album. I think can this can be attributed to attemping to make a more mainstream accessible record. I mean its not too different from their past material but it defintley has more of a "fuck it lets try to sell the most records possible and not care what our old fans think!" vibe to it.

Overall I think Bullet should go back to more of the heavier stuff on Scream,Aim,Fire. With this record the clean vocals are way too promient and more harsh vocals would have been a nice touch. I thought they were going to step it up to the next level and become a great band. Clearly Bullet went more for what is popular then the music they actually wanted to make. There is still the great guitarwork from past records present here but the songs overall are just weaker than they were in the past. This is just another run-of the mill metal record. Better luck next time Bullet.

2.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment