Thursday, May 2, 2013

May in Film

The Summer movie season is officially upon us! May, as usual, is mostly comprised of major tentpole films that sets the tone for the next 4 months in the world of cinema. Here are my thoughts on the entire slate of May films.

Films I want to see:
5.Now You See Me (5/31)-The idea of a magician heist movie is very original and intriguing to me. The cast including Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Morgan Freeman, Isla Fisher and Michael Caine is absolutely phenomenal. Hopefully it doesn't drop the ball with its cool concept.

4.The Hangover Part III (5/24)-Yes Part II wasn't as good as the first. Yes Part II was essentially the same concept as the first. That being said, Part II was still very amusing and more than enough to get me to want to spend another round with the wolf pack. The concept this go-round is a bit different as they don't get drunk and loose someone and the trailer is undoubtedly funny and looks a bit darker in it's humor than the other two installments. I'm very excited to see how Todd Philips decides to wrap-up this franchise.

3.Iron Man 3 (5/3)-Marvel again kicks off the summer movie season with Iron Man 3. Iron Man 2 was a bit disappointing after the excellent first installment, but I am pretty confident that writer/director Shane Black will get the franchise back on track. The early reception has been very positive and the film looks like it could be in the top tier of Marvel films.

2.Fast and Furious 6 (5/24)-Fast Five was easily the best of the franchise and was my 2nd favorite film of 2011. Coming off that triumph with the same writer and director in tow and a explosive trailer, Fast and Furious 6 has all the making of another potential top-notch action flick.

1.Star Trek: Into Darkness (5/17)-My most anticipated film of the entire summer. The initial remake came out of nowhere and blew me away and became one of my favorite films of all-time after multiple viewings. With J.J Abrams, screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman and most of the cast still on board, this film could very well repeat that magic again.

Film I'm not sure on:
After Earth (5/31)- With M.Night Shyamalan behind the camera and a mediocre trailer, I'm a bit wary to see this. However, the presence of Will Smith and screenwriter Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli) peeks my interest enough to probably check it out at some point in time.

Film I have zero interest in seeing:
The Great Gatsby (5/10)- I despise the book and director Baz Luhrmann, even a solid cast with the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Joel Edgerton doesn't pique my interest towards the film.

Peeples (5/10)-Craig Robinson is the man, but Tyler Perry's involvement in the production all but assures that this will a forgettable film.

Epic (5/24)-A kid's movies that just simply doesn't look like my thing. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment