Sunday, September 1, 2013

September in Film

September is essentially the transitional period from the big blockbusters of summer to the prestige pictures of the fall/winter. The releases may not be big for the most part, but there are a few intriguing titles amidst the small crop of releases this month. Here are my thoughts on all of September's films.

Films I want to see:
4.Riddick (9/6): Riddick marks a return to R-rated glory for the franchise after softening up with the PG-13 rated Chronicles of Riddick. I didn't love Pitch Black, but it was a decent enough albeit very straightforward sc-fi flick. The trailer for this is pretty cool and hopefully they can build on the first installment and make a standout sc-fi movie.

3.Rush (9/27): I'm happy to see Ron Howard return to drama after his disastrous last comedic outing The Dillemma. I'm not really a Formula One racing fan nor do I know anything about the lives/rivalry of James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Despite that non-interest in the subject, I still want to see this. The cast is excellent and I'm really intrigued to see Chris Hemsworth in a major dramatic role. It's one of the first Oscar contenders of the year and hopefully Howard leaves his stamp of quality on it. 

2.Prisoners (9/20): My excitement level for this film keep on-growing. Everything I've see on it is just great and this cast is stacked with top-level talent including Jake Gylenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Viola Davis, Terrence Howard and Mellisa Leo. This is also the first American film for highly-acclaimed Canadian director Denis Villeneuve and the film has been steadily-picking up awards buzz as the early reviews come in. Absolute must-see for me.

1.Don Jon (9/27): Joesph Gordon-Levitt is one of my favorite actors right now and I'm stoked to see what he does with his directorial debut. This film was very well-received at Sundance and has picked up additional positive reception along the way and the trailer looks like it blends comedy and charm very well. An added bonus for this film is seeing Tony Danza on-screen for the first time in forever. This is easily one of my most anticipated films for the rest of 2013.

Films I'm not sure about:
The Family (9/13): The trailer is half-decent and I like Robert De Niro a lot, but writer/director Luc Besson has been on a cold streak recently.

Films I have zero interest in:
Insidious Chapter 2 (9/13):The first one had its moments before jumping off the deep end in the second half of the film. The sequel looks like the wacko second half of the first one, so I'll pass.

Battle of the Year (9/20): Oh cool man another dance movie. I was shocked to find out that Josh Peck and Sawyer from Lost are in this.

Baggage Claim (9/27):Haven't seen the full trailer, but after reading the plot and seeing a brief commercial for it I'm fairly certain I don't want to see it.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (9/27): Plan and simple, not my bag. I'll give them props for casting Mr. T in it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment