Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Concert Review: Deftones, Boston, MA, May 9th, 2011

It was a glorious evening last night at the House Of Blues. I was just stoked to be there after having my friend that was supposed to drive drop out the night before. Thankfully, another one of my friends was able to go and I am beyond thankful that I found someone to drive, it was one hell of a show.

I arrived at the House Of Blues around 7:40. My tickets were supposed to be on the second level, but my friends and I decided to sneak on the floor. It worked out, no one asked to see our tickets. It was a huge plus being able to see this show from the floor. At around 8:00, the first band, Funeral Party went on. I didn't expect them to at this show, I thought Dillinger Escape Plan was the only opener. Funeral Party is a indie/alternative rock band from England. They were actually surprisingly decent. They were an unconventional opener for this show, but they really weren't bad. I am not going to start listening to their stuff or anything like that, but they were a respectable opener for the evening.

The Dillinger Escape Plan was up next. The first time I saw them at Warped Tour last summer, the audience reaction was horrible, but Dillinger was still great. This time around, the crowd reaction was much better and Dillinger's show was even better. They were actually lights out. Their energy is honestly unmatched anyone in the music industry. I would go as far as to say you have not seen an energetic live band until you've seen The Dillinger Escape Plan live. From the opening notes of "Farewell, Mona Lisa" to guitarist Ben Weinman hanging upside from the balcony railing during set closer "43% Burnt", Dillinger's energy was relentless. They are such a fantastic and intense live band that needs to be seen by every metal fan at least once.  I would love to see them headline very soon.

Deftones were amazing as well. I saw them open for Alice In Chains in September and they were great, but this time out they killed that performance. They had one of, if not, the clearest sound mixes i've ever heard live. The sound was completely perfect. Chino Moreno sounded fantastic. His voice is even better live than is on disc. He is one of the very few vocalists I've heard live that I can say that about. The setlist was fucking great. A really great balance of stuff from their entire discography. The set highlight for me was "Passenger" with Greg Puicato from The Dillinger Escape Plan. That song gave me chills live and Greg Puicato does an amazing job with Maynard James Keenan's parts from the original  (personally, I think he does a better job. ) One of the best live songs I've seen this year, maybe even ever.

Overall, it was a spectacular show. Deftones and Dillinger Escape Plan are two of the finest live bands in metal today. They both put on high energy shows and they give it 110% every time out. If this coming to your city, don't miss this tour.

Scores
Funeral Party 6/10
Dillinger Escape Plan 9.5/10
Deftones 9/10

Setlists
Dillinger Escape Plan
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Milk Lizard
Panasonic Youth
Chinese Whispers
Room Full Of Eyes
Gold Teeth On A Bum
Black Bubblegum
Sunshine The Werewolf
43% Burnt



Deftones
Diamond Eyes
Rocket Skates
Birthmark
Engine No.9
Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
My Own Summer (Shove It)
Digital Bath
Knife Prty
Korea
Hexagram
Minerva
Bloody Cape
You've Seen The Butcher
Sextape
Prince
Cherry Waves
Feiticera
Elite
Change (In The House Of Flies)
Passenger(with Greg Puciato) (One of the best single song performances of 2011, if not ever for me)
Encore:
Root
Nosebleed
7 Words

No comments:

Post a Comment