Sunday, May 1, 2011

May In Film

May marks the official start of summer movie season. May is actually the strongest looking month in a pretty weak looking summer(4 of my top 10 most anticipated films of the summer come out in May). Here are my thoughts on the upcoming releases in May.

Films I Want To See
4.Kung Fu Panda 2(5/26)-This might come as a shock to some people that frequent my blog, but I want to see Kung Fu Panda 2. I watched the first one out of boredom during a free preview of HBO a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. The original cast is back for the most part and this should be a good sequel.

3.Thor(5/6)-Thor isn't one of my favorite Marvel heroes, but this still looks pretty cool. The trailers looks pretty great and it looks to be very Iron Man-esque(blending action with some comedy), which is a good thing.

2.Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides(5/20)-The subtractions of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley and the addition of Ian McShane/return of Geoffry Rush makes me extremely excited for this movie. The trailers looks pretty damn awesome and it looks like it make up for the disappointing (but still pretty good) third film. The only potential red flag is that this was directed by Rob Marshall, who has never directed anything like this before (his previous films include Chicago and Memoirs Of A Geisha).

1. The Hangover: Part II(5/26)-The Hangover is one of my favorite comedies of all time, so naturally I can't wait to see this film. The new trailers look to be more of the same, which makes me even more pumped to see this. This is my most anticipated film of the entire summer and if it's even anywhere close to as good as the original, I will be happy.

Films I Am Unsure About
Bridesmaids(5/13)-I haven't been more split on a film in a long time. On the positive side, it's been getting really good early buzz dubbing it as the "female version of The Hangover" and Kristen Wiig is really funny (she is one of the best parts of Saturday Night Live). On the negative side, the trailers are pretty average and it could too much of a chick flick for my tastes. I'll have to see how it turns out.

Films I don't want to see (but will anyways due to my dedication to see as many 2011 films as possible)
Something Borrowed(5/6)-Generic looking romantic comedy that looks to be eye-gougingly awful, no thanks.

Jumping The Broom(5/6)-Repeat what I said for Something Borrowed.

Priest(5/13)-This look eerily similar to last year's Legion (that can be can explained, it has the same director and writers). It also looks completely stupid. Come on a god damn vampire hunting priest, that's really dumb. The action looks to be dull and the effects aren't even good.

No comments:

Post a Comment