Friday, May 27, 2011

Movie Review: I Am Number Four (Film Number 2 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

Every year it has to happen. Some film has to take the dubious honor of being the first bad film of the year and I Am Number Four is the lucky film I get to bestow that upon this year. Prior to seeing this, A friend of mine jokingly said that this film caused him to break up with his girlfriend. After seeing I Am Number Four, I now see why he would say that.

I Am Number Four makes the big mistake of false advertising. The trailers made this look to be a sci-fi action flick. Instead I Am Number Four is basically a romantic film with sci-fi elements and a few action sequences. With the sparse amount of the action on display, it means this film is mainly based around the story. Too bad the storyline is not particularly strong. The whole film tries to develop this romantic/ coming of age storyline and it really backfires. On top of the script issues, the acting is pretty bad all around. Alex Pettyfer is one of the bland and boring actors in all of Hollywood. He basically just coasts through this movie with one expression and shirtless half the time in an attempt to sway the teen girl audience. Dianna Argon, of Glee fame, plays his love interest and is equally bad. There are a couple of redeeming action sequences and Timothy Olyphant is good as always (seeing him surrounded by all these horrible actors makes me realize how great he is.) I Am Number Four suffers from a weak love story plot, pretty bad acting, and cheesy (not in a fun way) villains. I can guarantee there will be much worse films than I Am Number Four this year, but for night now this is the worst I've seen this year.

2/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment