Saturday, February 4, 2012

Album Review: iwrestledabearonce-Ruining It for Everybody

I can't believe I am even writing this review right now. If you had told me a couple of months ago that I was going to write a positive review for an iwrestledabearonce album, I would have told you were out of your god damn mind. Well I'll have to eat crow on this one because it's happening, Ruining It for Everybody is a quality release.

Ruining It for Everybody doesn't really do anything vastly different than their previous material, it just works this time around. Where their past material was disjointed and sloppy, this album prevails with a sense of organization to the chaos. Everything just flows a lot smoother and you can tell they took their time to craft their unique brand of lunacy this time around. It's not just the flow of their music has improved, it's everything about it. They took a lot more risks with their experimentation and it pays off. Their music has always been abstract and strange, but now it's weirder than ever. From the use of a gospel choir on "Dedorant Can't Fix Ugly"to the piano-driven "This Head Music Makes My Eyes Rain" to their usual video game-style bleeps and bloops, iwrestledabearonce makes sure there is not a single moment where chaos isn't ensuing. Vocalist Krysta Cameron also steps her game up. Her screams are very much improved from the first album. That being said, her real strength as a vocalist is her clean vocals. She truly has an amazing singing voice and range. She can go from one extreme to the other at the drop of a hat and that really impressed me.

Ruining It for Everybody is a surprisingly good record. iwrestledabearonce has found their groove when it comes to making weird, spastic metal. They kind remind me of if Dillinger Escape Plan and Converge became obsessed with video games and had a dumb, oddball sense of humor. This is some unpredictable, catchy stuff that just flat-out works for whatever reason. Kuds to iwrestledbearonce for converting me into a fan and getting a hold of their abstract niche.

3.5/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.I'm Gonna Shoot
2.Deodorant Can't Fix Ugly
3.Button It Up

No comments:

Post a Comment