Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August In Film

August marks the last month of the Summer movie season and what a great one it has been. August has a few exciting releases along with the typical end-of summer junk that is dumped out in the last couple of weeks of the month. Here is my thoughts on the entire slate of August films.

Films I want to see:
4.The Bourne Legacy (8/10)-While I do think the Bourne films are overrated, I still enjoy them. The Bourne Legacy looks to be the best of the series. I like the concept that there are more people like Jason Bourne out there and Jermey Renner is a great choice for the lead role. Early reception is good as well and this might be the first Bourne movie I see in theaters.

3.Lawless(8/29)-I am a big fan of westerns and Lawless looks to be a great one. It has a great trailer and talented cast anchored by Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Guy Pearce, and Jessica Chastain. This could also prove that Shia LaBeouf has a future as a legitimate actor and not just an action star. I also think making a movie about bootlegging could be very interesting since it's a topic that hasn't really been covered by too many movies.

2.The Campaign(8/10)-This movie has a ton of potential. Two of the finest comic actors in the business in Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis along with a strong supporting cast including Dylan McDermott, Jason Sudekis, John Lithgow, and Dan Akroyd and a script written by two of the writers of Eastbound and Down could make for another elite 2012 comedy.

1.The Expendables 2(8/17)-Being the action whore that I am, This is of course my most anticipated movie of the month. The first one was one of the finest action movies in recent memory. This one looks to be trying top the original by adding action legends Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme to the fold on top of the already stacked cast of action heroes past and present. Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger have also been given larger roles expanding upon their cameos in the first one which is awesome. The now confirmed R-rating (It was previously rumored to be PG-13) makes me just as excited to see this as I was the first one.

Film I'm not sure about
Total Recall (8/3)-Though the newest trailer is actually pretty good, I'm still on the fence on this one. It definitely could be cool given it's concept, solid cast, and Len Wiseman directing. At the same time the first couple of trailers were just alright and made it out to be a generic action movie. Kurt Wimmer's hit-or-miss screenwriting is also a bit unsettling. I am definitely somewhat intrigued but I'm not going into it with high expectations.

Hit and Run(8/22)-This is just barely in this section because the redband trailer didn't make me laugh once. The theaterical trailer isn't too bad though and it might end up being watchable. Might catch it on DVD depending on the reception.

Films I have no interest in:
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (8/3)-I saw the previous installment last year and I didn't like it, so I won't be seeing this.

Hope Springs (8/8)-I'm not even close to the target audience of older females that this film has. I'm sure it's well-made, but I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't like this.

The Odd Life of Timothy Green (8/15)-I am going to be completely honest this is one of the dumbest concepts for a movies I've ever seen. A movie about a couple that can't conceive a child so they put a bunch of qualities they would want in their kid in a box and bury it and the next morning this plant kid emerges on their front door. Seriously? It makes sense that Frank Zappa's wrote the story to this movie because a plot like this can can only be thought of while high on some type of hallucinogenic drugs. I wouldn't see this movie unless I was payed a substantial amount.

Paranorman (8/17)-Even though Tim Burton has nothing to do with this, It looks very much like the style of animated films that he does (stop-motion horror-themed comedies) so I will be steering clear of this.

Sparkle(8/17)-It's a musical, Enough said.

The Apparition (8/24)-Pretty stupid looking horror movie about an entity that was created during a college experiment gone wrong. I will give them points for thinking outside of the box a bit, but it still looks pretty bad.

Premium Rush (8/24)-Runner-up for stupidest concept I've heard in a while: Premium Rush. It's an action movie based around bike messengers in New York City having to deliver a dangerous package while being chased around a dirty cop who wants it. If it's really that dangerous of a package then why the fuck is a dude on a bike taking it? Even with Joesph Gordon-Levitt being in the lead role, I have no interest in seeing this.

The Possession(8/31)-It looks slightly better than most recent exorcism movies and Sam Rami's presence as a producer is encouraging, but it's still another demonic possession movie. I won't see this unless the reception is extremely positive.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment