Friday, January 20, 2017

The Best and Worst of James McAvoy

The "Best and Worst" series profiles the best and worst work of an actor starring in one of the week's new theatrical releases. This week I take a look at the filmography of "Split" star James McAvoy.

Films starring James McAvoy that I've seen:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Last King of Scotland
Wanted
Gnomeo and Juliet
X-Men: First Class
Arthur Christmas
Trance
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Filth
X-Men: Apocalypse

Best Performance: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
The X-Men prequels are among my favorite superhero movies of all-time and McAvoy's remarkable work as Professor Charles Xavier, the wise, telepathic leader of the titular band of a mutants, is a large reason why. While he's been great in all three films, the story arc involving Xavier's self-doubt and rage over how he's treated allows McAvoy to bring an emotional core to a film franchise that isn't usually known for dramatic heft.  

Worst Performance: The Last King of Scotland (2006)
Upon watching a young McAvoy in his first leading role as the Scottish personal physician to Ugandan dictator Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker) this past week, it's kind of hard to believe that he eventually transformed into one of the most reliably impressive actors in Hollywood. The intensity and emotional transparency that has defined McAvoy's recent work is completely absent here as he gets outclassed in every scene by the fiery and horrifying Whitaker.

Best Film: Wanted (2008):
There are few films in existence that I've had to defend my love for more than Wanted. A large percentage of my friends have given me an abundance of shit for enjoying this movie since it was released in the summer of 2008 (I declared shortly after it came out that it was better than The Dark Knight and one of my friends proceeded to immediately punch me in the arm) and to be honest, I completely understand that reaction. Wanted features a bunch of despicable characters, has one of the most ludicrous plot twists in the history of cinema and is so cartoonishly over-the-top that it makes films like Shoot Em' Up and Drive Angry feel like documentaries. I may be aware of its flaws, but none of them prevent me from adoring the hell out of this movie. This movie is pure, B-action madness that puts a smile on my face every single time I watch it.

Worst Film: Gnomeo and Juliet (2011)
I can't believe someone actually greenlit a sequel to this obnoxious, unfunny musical poopfest. SMH.

 Thank you for reading this week's installment of "The Best and Worst of". Next week, I'll take a look at the best and worst work of "Gold" star Edgar Ramirez.

No comments:

Post a Comment