Sunday, July 18, 2010

Album Review: Cancer Bats-Bears,Mayors,Scraps and Bones



Canada's Cancer Bats have always been a high-praised band that I have just kind of avoided. I have known about for a couple years and I kind of dug a few songs off their last relase Hail Destroyer. I finally decided I should check out an entire release by them. Bears,Mayors.Scarps and Bones makes me wonder why I didn't start listening to these guys sooner.

This record stars off with a bang with opener "Sleep This Away". It showcases why the Cancer Bats are something special. It has the frantic hardcore vocal stylings of Liam Cormier and the first of many kick-ass riffs from guitarist Scott Middleton. The whole record is packed with genre bending hardcore that is unlike any hardcore I have heard for a while. Songs like the sludgy masterpiece "Snake Mountain" or the heavy as a ton of bricks "Black Metal Bicycle" show off the many influences the Cancer Bats have. There is a lot to like on this record and I think the only complaint I would have is a few of the songs do sound a little bit similar.

Bears,Mayors,Scraps and Bones is absoultely worth checking out. The Cancer Bats have a wide appeal with their sound as they are not your typical hardcore band. They got traces of Southren Rock,Sludge Metal and of course old school hardcore punk. This record is full of excellent riffs,manic vocals and just great songwriting. It is a shame it took me so long to finally listen to this band but damn I am happy that I finally did.

4/5 Stars

Standout Tracks

1. Snake Mountain

2.Sleep This Away

3.Trust No One

No comments:

Post a Comment