Thursday, July 15, 2010

Concert Review: Warped Tour July 13, 2010 Mansfield,Massachusetts

Overall it was a really fun day. That being said the day did not start that way. I got into the venue pretty fast surprisingly but after walking around for a few minutes I could find no signs of set times anywhere. When I finally did it was 11:20 I found out that the main band I was there to see The Dillinger Escape Plan had already been playing for 10 minutes. After being misguided by a Comcast Center employee I ran as fast as I could to what I thought was the Main Stage and af it turned out to be the Glamour Kills Stage/AP Stage. I finally found a map and got there they already had just about finished 43% Burnt. Despite missing half their set watching Dillinger was amazing. Spot on live and off the walls energetic. The setlist was amazing as well a lot of the best new material off of Option Paralysis was played.


After Dillinger I made a promise to my friends that I would give Bring Me The Horizon a chance live. I tend to be pretty open minded when it comes to music and I will give anything a fair chance. I give Bring Me The Horizon a chance but they were still fucking ungodly awful. Oli Sykes is one of the worst metal vocalists ever. Some of his high pitched screaming he just spoke the words instead of screaming and he had some of the gayest gestures when he was on stage. Another whale of a tale from these bitches was how Sykes kept complaining about the lack of circle pits. Dude you have to realize that your fans are gold medal invisible ninja fighters they don't like circle pits. One thing these ninja fighting douchers do like though is putting together the worst wall of death I have ever witnessed. I couldn't stop laughing it was one of the saddest things I have ever seen at a show. The only compliment I can give them is that they have good energy. Besides that Bring Me The Horizon is a detriment to metal and should stop making music ASAP.


Every Time I Die was up next for me. After Bring Me The Horizon it was refreshing to see a band that knows how to work the crowd properly. Anyone that is going to Warped Tour for the remainder of the tour should watch these guys. They are a great live band and they were a lot of fun to watch. One of the standout performances of the day.


While walking over to the Altec Lansing Stage to watch Whitechapel I watched Four Year Strong's last two songs. They weren't particularlly good but they weren't bad.

Whitechapel was up next. They were a lot better than they were at the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival in April but they still had shit sound and they need to make some setlist changes. They play the same songs non-stop. Whitechapel played pretty well but they still aren't as good live as they used to be.Parkway Drive came on right after them.

I got to say Parkway Drive is a great live band. The vocalist Winston McCall is fantastic and he is hillarious. Great performance all around by them and I was surprised that they had circle pits going for almost the entire set.

After Parkway it became a waiting game for me untill Alkaline Trio came on as they were 0 bands that I wanted to see during this so me and my friends sat at the Glamour Kills and AP stage for a little bit simply because there were seats. During that span I witnessed this band called Artist Vs Poet. Holy shit they were one of the worst bands I have ever heard in my entire life. Beyond whiney pop-punk that made All Time Low sound like Iron Fucking Maiden in comparison. After that shitshow Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band came on. I could not stop laughing at these guys. I understand they are trying to make fun,brainless music but they were just ridiculous. They had some talent but they sounded like music Borat would listen to. After that Sparks The Rescue played. They were still pretty weak but in comparison to the other bands that I just endured they weren't that bad.

Finally after the horrid array of sounds ended I watched Alkaline Trio. It has been a while since I had seen Alkaline Trio but they played pretty well. I will say the setlist was not the strongest mainly due to the lack of songs off of Crimson my favorite record by them. Despite the issue I still enjoyed there set a good amount and Armegeddon and 97 are two of my favorite songs by them.
I didn't watch any bands for another hour and a half after that because during the span In Fear and Faith,Alesana, We The Kings,Hey Monday,Never Shout Never,Emarosa,Emmure,Mayday Parade and a few other awful bands were occupying their respective stages.

I made a very bad choice to watch Suicide Silence over Sum 41. Sum 41 i'm sure would been a lot of fun for the nostalgia and I highly regret not watching them. I am not even a big Suicide Silence fan at all. I am take it or leave it on them on disc but they do put on a pretty good show. They were still pretty decent but Mitch wasn't on the top of his game vocally. His voice kept cracking when he was doing his highs. That being said the crowd was really into it and besides the final act of the night(who I will be getting to in a moment) they got the best reception of the entire day. My friends that I went with all had their minds blown and just kept talking about they blew everyone else on the bill out of the water but they went back to the car prior to the last act who was.


...........Andrew W.K!!!!! I knew Andrew W.K was going to be good and fun live but I didn't think he was going to be that good. He was fucking unbelieveable. I have rarely seen a crowd so excited to see an artist in my entire life. He had circle pits going from the barrier all the way back to the Vans VIP Tent. Andrew W.K is such an amazing performer and he played the best show of the entire day. I was speechless after his performance and rarely had as much fun at a show then I did during his show.Overall a good show with a couple of letdowns and long waits with no bands I wanted to see but it was still worth it.

Scores
The Dillinger Escape Plan 9/10
Bring Me The Horizon 1.5/10
Every Time I Die 8.5/10
Whitechapel 7.5/10
Parkway Drive 8/10
Artist Vs Poet 1/10
Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band 2.5/10
Sparks The Rescue 3/10
Alkaline Trio 7.5/10
Suicide Silence 6.5/10
Andrew W.K 9.5/10

Setlists

The Dillinger Escape Plan(missed half the set due to the aforementioned incident)
43% Burnt
Room Full Of Eyes
Chinese Whispers
Good Neighbor
Sunshine The Werewolf
Farewell Mona Lisa

Every Time I Die
No Son Of Mine
The Marvelous Slut
Ebolorama
After One Quarter Of A Revolution
She's My Rushmore
The New Black
Floater
Apocalypse Now And Then
Bored Stiff
We'rewolf

Whitechapel
Of Legions
The Darkest Day Of Man
Posession
Vicer Exciser
Breeding Violence
Eternal Refuge
Prostatic Fluid Asphyxiation
This Is Exile

Parkway Drive
Samsara(Intro)
Unrest
Idols and Anchors
Romance Is Dead
Sleepwalker
Dead Man's Chest
Carrion
Boneyards

Alkaline Trio
Cringe
Armageddon
Emma
Dine,Dine My Darling
Stupid Kid
In Vein
Private Eye
This Addiction
97

Suicide Silence
Wake Up
Lifted
Smoke
Unanswered
Disengage
No Time To Bleed
No Pity For A Coward

Andrew W.K.
It's Time To Party
Girls Own Love
You Will Remember Tonight
She Is Beautiful
Tear It Up
Ready To Die
We Want Fun
I Love NYC
I Get Wet
Party Hard

No comments:

Post a Comment