Saturday, March 19, 2011

Concert Review: Dropkick Murphys, Boston,MA, March 18th, 2011

What a fucking show. There is nothing like seeing the Dropkick Murphys in Boston.

Got to the House Of Blues at 6:30 and the opening band The Parkington Sisters were already playing. They were a folk group from Cape Cod. They consisted of mainly violin and cello players. They were definitely talented, I just didn't dig their sound. I was pretty damn bored throughout the set. The only highlight is when Ken Casey from the Dropkick Murphys came out and did a song with them.

Death Before Dishonor was up next. I was pretty surprised they were there. They are a Boston hardcore band who I have heard of before, but never listened to. I really enjoyed their set, but let's just say I was one of the few. Most of the crowd was really confused at what they were witnessing. Really good Boston hardcore and I would really like to see them again with a better crowd.

Against Me! was up next. I saw Against Me! four years ago opening for Mastodon(easily the strangest lineup I have ever seen) and they were pretty good. They were better last night than the first time I saw them. They have pretty solid energy and it looked like they are having a good time on stage. Against Me! doesn't really waste time on stage, they move from song to song at a relentless pace only stopping at the very end to thank the crowd. They were a bit repetitive at times, but they were fun overall. I wouldn't mind seeing them again, I had a good time during their set.

Dropkick Murphys were insane. The entire crowd was going apeshit. Everybody was singing along, jumping around and having a good time. The crowd was far less violent then I thought it would it be. I expected utter chaos when it came to the mosh pits, but the pits were actually fairly tame. The Dropkicks performance was great. They had a ton of energy and they really got the crowd amped up. Another thing I enjoyed was the special guests they had come on stage. Irish Step Dancers came out during a couple of songs as well as a fleet of bagpipers on certain songs. After leaving the stage after "Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced", they pulled the biggest surprise of the night. For the encore they brought out Bruce fucking Springsteen. That's right Bruce Springsteen. I am not really a fan of Bruce Springsteen, it was just really cool to see him play with the Murphys in a club venue. Springsteen played with them for three songs, including a cover of his song "Badlands". They closed out their over 90 minute set with "Skinhead On The MBTA" and "Boys On The Docks" A great show and an awesome first show of 2011.

Scores
The Parkington Sisters 3/10
Death Before Dishonor 8/10
Against Me! 7.5/10
Dropkick Murphys 9/10

Setlists

Death Before Dishonor included:
Never Again
Break Through It All
Boston Belongs To Me

Against Me! included:
Pints Of Guinness Make You Strong
New Wave
Don't Lose Touch
I Was A Teenage Anarchist
White People For Peace
Thrash Unreal
Sink,Florida,Sink

Dropkick Murphys:(Slightly out of order in the middle, but the songs are correct)
Hang Em' High
Captain Kelly's Kitchen
Barroom Hero
Never Alone
The Gang's All Here
Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya
Deeds Not Words
The State Of Massachusetts
Sunday Hardcore Matinee
Curse Of A Fallen Soul
The Fields Of Athenry
Going Out In Style
Cruel
The Dirty Glass(w/one of The Parkington Sisters)
Citizen C.I.A
Take Em' Down
Broken Hymns
The Auld Triangle
The Irish Rover
Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced
Encore:
Peg O'My Heart(w/Bruce Springsteen)
Badlands(Bruce Springsteen cover) (w/Bruce Springsteen)
I'm Shipping Up To Boston(w/Bruce Springsteen)
Skinhead On The MBTA
Boys On The Docks

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very similar to the show they put on when I saw them, which was to be expected. Well minus the Springsteen part of course, that is awesome! Glad you had a great time. The set list looks almost identical. Glad you finally popped your Murphys cherry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great, I really want to see them again next year.

    ReplyDelete