Sunday, March 27, 2011

Movie Review: Sucker Punch


As an aspiring movie critic, there are times where I disagree strongly with professional critics. On numerous occasions I've found myself on Rotten Tomatoes looking at the percentage and thinking "really that low, come on now?" I tend to be a pretty open minded moviegoer and I don't tend to find some of the nitpicking criticisms critics that some critics find. Sucker Punch is one of the biggest disagreements I have ever had with critics, I loved it.



Sucker Punch centers around Babydoll(Emily Browning). Babydoll is sent to the Lennox House for the Mentally Insane after accidentally shooting her sister while trying to her protect her for her stepfather. Upon arrival, Babydoll finds out she will be lobotomized in four days. Using her mind to escape, she comes up with a plan to escape from the Lennox House by obtaining four items: a map, fire, knife and key. Babydoll proposes the plan to her fellow patients Sweet Pea(Abbie Cornish), Rocket(Jenna Malone), Blondie (Vannessa Hudgens), and Amber (Jamie Chung) who agree to accompany in her plan to escape.


Sucker Punch is a dynamite action/adventure flick. It's a riveting piece of crazy, manic entertainment. The visuals are absolutely top-notch. During the process of obtaining each item, you are transported into a dream world. The landscapes are tremendously detailed and every single sequence is a visual feast. The action sequences are out of this world. From dragons to robots, there is a wide array of different villains and every action scene is bad-ass. Zach Snyder is one of the most talented directors in capturing action. Snyder's films never fail to impress with action and Sucker Punch continues the trend.


A lot of the reviews I read complained about it's confusing and hard to follow storyline. I am really not sure if I watched the same film as these critics. The story is not only not hard to follow, it's actually very good. I found myself transfixed by the storyline. The tone is surprisingly dark and the haunting tone is strikingly effective. It was also very original and extremely engaging. You become attached to the character's goal of freedom and their fight for survival.


Sucker Punch is a great ride. It's a brilliant action/adventure that is also a whirlwind fantasy with remarkable landscapes. This is a creative,dark, and really original film. Zach Snyder continues to impress me and he is one of my favorite directors in Hollywood. The man is a visual genius and he brings a sensational artistic vision to all of his projects. Sucker Punch is a highly underrated film and another piece of action bliss from Zach Snyder.


4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment