Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Concert Review: Children Of Bodom, Worcester, MA, July 19th, 2011

Last night at The Palladium marked the first of four shows on the docket for me this summer. It also marked the first time I went to a show where none of the bands were from the United States (Children Of Bodom is from Finland, Devin Townsend is from Canada, Septic Flesh is from Greece, and Obscura is from Germany.) Let me just say it was one of hell a way to start off the summer concert season.

Obscura opened the show (which was a surprise the venue had Septic Flesh listed as the opener.) From the opening notes of "Septuagint" to the closing notes of "Centric Flow", Obscura blew me away with their technicality. Every thing that was on record was hit flawlessly live. That really impressed me considering how complex their material is. On of top being spot-on instrumentally, their vocalist sounded awesome and they had a lot of energy. The crowed went fucking nuts for them too, which I didn't really expect. Their vocalist said they will coming back to the United States soon. Amazing performance from Obscura and I will definitely be seeing them again.

Septic Flesh was up next. I am pretty new to Septic Flesh. I just listened to their new record The Great Mass last week and I dug what I heard. The set was heavy on material from that record, which was good since I was familiar with just about every song they played. Their live show was great. The whole vibe was epic with the symphonic parts and the singer's stage presence. He got the crowd amped and had not one, but two walls of death during the set. Septic Flesh was heavy and epic as hell and I really enjoyed their set.

Devin Townsend Project was up next. I have seen Devin Townsend before and he was great, but this time around he was 100x better. His show was more energetic and funny. He is the single funniest performer I've ever seen. The jokes he was cracking throughout the set were hysterical. I could probably make a whole other post just with all of his quotes from the set. The highlight though was him bringing a dude that looked him on stage saying it was his clone and then kissing him on stage and saying right after "Why do I have an erection?" His setlist was awesome as well playing two of the best tracks of his new record Deconstruction ("Stand" and "Juular"). He said he is coming back on a headlining tour in October and I will try my hardest to attend. Devin Townsend had the best show of the night. Heavy, hilarious, and just plain awesome.

During Bodom's set-up time I got to meet Devin Townsend. He was a fucking awesome dude and he seemed really appreciative for me coming out to the show and supporting him. By the time I got back from meeting Townsend, Bodom was just about finished with set opener "Not My Funeral". This was easily the best performance I have seen Bodom give. The previous two times they seriously let me down (first time they were far too drunk and second time they were pretty good, but still disappointing.) I was just excited to finally see a great Bodom performance. The setlist wasn't the greatest, but I finally got to see "Needled 24/7" and "Children Of Bodom" which made me really excited. Alexi Laiho and Janne Warman are both so fucking good at what they do and they nailed everything throughout the entire set. Great performance from Bodom and it restored my faith in them as a live act.

Overall it was a great fucking show. Every band surpassed my expectations which made the night that much better. I don't know if it was because it was the last night of the tour, but every band seemed to be on the top of their game. I would love to see every band again. Great start to the summer concert season and I'm excited for my second show of the summer Mayhem Fest on Friday!

Scores
Obscura 9/10
Septic Flesh 8.5/10
Devin Townsend Project 9/10
Children Of Bodom 8.5/10

Setlists
Obscura:
Septuagint
Anticosmic Overload
Ocean Gateways
Vortex Omnivium
Centric Flow

Septic Flesh:
The Vampire From Nazareth
Communion
The Great Mass Of Death
Pyramid God
Persepolis
Five-Pointed Star

Devin Townsend Project:
By Your Command
Truth/OM
Supercrush!
Kingdom
Stand
Juular

Children Of Bodom:
Not My Funeral
Bodom Beach Terror
Needled 24/7
Shovel Knockout
Roundtrip To Hell and Back
In Your Face
Living Dead Beat
Children Of Bodom
Hate Me!
Blooddrunk
Angels Don't Kill
Follow The Reaper
Downfall
Encore:
Was It Worth It?
Are You Dead Yet?
Hate Crew Deathroll

No comments:

Post a Comment