Thursday, May 31, 2012

June In Film

June continues the summer season onwards with more big films. The films of June have a tough act to follow after May delivered from a quality standpoint, but with another lot of films with some potential gems, it could just be up to the task. Here are my thoughts on the whole slate of June films.

 Films I want to see
4.That's My Boy (6/15)-This looks like it could be the redemption film for Adam Sandler. If this as good as I think it be, it will erase Sandler's especially terrible 2011and hopefully put him back on track. The trailer is pretty good, the writers are good, and the early reception has been great. All the signs point to this being a success and it hopefully isn't a letdown.

3.Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (6/22)-One of the few times in my life where I was just sold on the title of the film. On top of the title, it looks like a great time at the movies. The red-band trailer that was released last week boosted my anticipation even higher. Timur Bekmambetov in the director's chair is another encouraging sign. His last film, Wanted, is one of my favorite action movies of the past decade. Even Tim Burton's involvement isn't scaring me off from seeing this! (Which is definitely saying something considering how much I hate Tim Burton). Can't wait for this one.

2.Ted (6/29)-Though I only have a wavering enjoyment of Family Guy, I am really excited to see what Seth McFarlane has in store for his debut film. The concept is fantastic (How can you go wrong with Mark Wahlberg and his swearing, pot-smoking, teddy bear best friend?) and the trailers have been hilarious. Hopefully McFarlane nailed it and it won't be inconsistent like Family Guy is.

1.Prometheus (6/8)-I'm going to be completely honest, I haven't seen Alien. Even without seeing Alien, It doesn't deter from my excitement for Prometheus. It has one of the best trailers of the entire year, an outstanding cast (including the first English-language leading role for Sweedish actress Noomi Rapice (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) and was sitting behind only The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises for my most anticipated film of the summer. This has the potential to be the best sci-fi film in a long time and I am counting down the days until it comes out.

Films I'm not sure about:
Snow White and the Huntsman (6/1)-There are some cool elements to the trailer, but I have my reservations with seeing this in a theater. I am little bit worried that they are amping up the action in the trailers and it's really more of a fairy-tale based story aimed at teen girls. All reservations aside, I am still curious about this movie and I will see it on DVD.

Madgascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (6/8)-Haven't seen the first two and I haven't seen a full trailer for this, so I really can't say too much about it.

Brave (6/22)-I know it's Pixar and it will probably be good, but I don't think it looks like anything special and Pixar is coming off of a big strikeout in Cars 2 (Easily the worst Pixar film to date).

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World(6/22)-Looks a little too indie for my tastes, but I will see pretty much anything Steve Carell is in.

Films I have zero in interest in:
Rock of Ages(6/15)-Musicals are cancerous to me and this is no exception.

Madea's Witness Protection(6/29)-God damn it Tyler Perry, just stop.

Magic Mike (6/29)-It doesn't look as bad as I expected to, but as a straight man, I have zero interest in seeing a movie based around male strippers.

People Like Us (6/29)-Sappy-looking "inspirational drama" that is just not my bag at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment