Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May In Film

May provides the start of the summer season. As usual, May has only a few wide releases, but a majority of them are amongst the biggest releases of the year. Here are my thought on the first slate of summer movies.

Movies I want to see

3.Men In Black III (5/25)-I have a high level of nostalgia for Men In Black. The first two films were some of my favorite movies as a kid. Even after a ten year break and the fact that I'm now 20, I'm very excited to see these characters come back to the big screen. The plot is interesting and Josh Brolin playing young Agent K is perfect casting. I am a little wary that this will underwhelm due to the script being kind of rushed. Hopefully this is a fun throwback to the first two and not a disaster.

2.The Dictator(5/14)-Sacha Baron Cohen is a comic genius and I will watch anything he is in. Both trailers are hilarious and the departure from his normal guerrilla mockumentary style to a scripted, staged film should be an interesting one. Hopefully his comic brilliance translates to scripted filmmaking (I have feeling it will).

1.The Avengers(5/4)-The Avengers is not only my most anticipated film of May, but possibly the entire summer. This is something I've been waiting for years. The Avengers consists of pretty much the entire Marvel superheroes, which is too awesome for words. Adding to my initial excitement is the excellent early reception it's gotten. Joss Whedon is a very talented filmmaker and I can't wait to see what he did with the epic team of superheroes in The Avengers.

Films I Have Zero Interest In Seeing

Dark Shadows(5/11)-This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis. Yet another Tim Burton/Johhny Depp pairing and as usual, Burton's annoying "look at how weird and quirky I am" style of filmmaking is on display. Hipsters and other abstract people will love it, but I'll stay far, far away from this.

Battleship(5/18)-I still can't believe this is a legitimate movie. Easily one of the worst-looking action movies in recent memory. I mean aliens in the movie version of a fucking board game? One of the new lows for Hollywood for sure.

What to Expect When You're Expecting (5/18)-Another month, another generic romantic comedy. Pass.

Chernobyl Diaries (5/25)-More found-footage horror produced by Oran Pelli? Oh boy... I wonder if we'll get nuclear scary wind instead of the regular scary wind were used to from Pelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment