Monday, October 29, 2012

Album Review: Sylosis-Monolith

Every year has one album from a band I've never listened to before that comes out of nowhere and blows my mind. 2010 it was The Farthest Reaches by Son of Aurelius, 2011 it was The Harvest Wombs by Fallujah and this year it's Monolith by Sylosis.

While listening to Monolith, I couldn't believe it took me this long to listen to Sylosis. This is their third record and their unique sound is right up my alley. I can not think of another band that combines thrash, melodic death, and progressive metal. The minute album opener "Out From Below" started, I knew I was in for a special ride. The melodic intro lasts about a minute before blasting into a killer vintage 80's thrash riff will more than likely cause a frenzy in a live setting. I was immediately impressed by how well Josh Middleton's vocals fit the style. Just like the music, his vocals are heavily influenced from both thrash and melodic death metal with occasional well-used clean vocals thrown in for good measure (It kind reminded me of In Flames's Andres Friden circa 2000 and a more aggressive thrash vocalist like Testament's Chuck Billy) and it creates a really original and awesome vocal style. Besides being a great vocalist, the guy also shreds on lead guitar as first demonstrated  at about the halfway point of "Out From Below". "Out From Below" might be the standout track, but the rest of the album doesn't let up on intensity or quality. There is no shortage of excellent riffs, tempo changes, and Middleton's brilliant solowork that ranges from lightning fast to atmospheric and melodic. "What Dwells Within" is another monster of a track with  Metallica-esque riffing that descends into a beautiful progressive section before it comes roaring back to balls-out thrash, while slower tracks like "The River" and "A Dying Vine" show more of the melodic death/progressive side while still keeping the intensity of the heavier and faster material.

Monolith is a beyond pleasant surprise that has already made a lasting impression on me. I have never heard anything like this before and the combination of different styles come together flawlessly. This is a dynamic and deep record that rips from start to finish with no filler or bullshit. I am sucker for good riffs, solos, and transition changes and this album has all of those in droves. If this album is any indicator, Sylosis has an extremely promising future in the metal world and could rise to be one of my favorite bands. Monolith is one of the best records of 2012 and is a surefire lock for my year-end top 10, if not top 5.

4.5/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.Out From Below
2.What Dwells Within
3.The River



No comments:

Post a Comment