Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October in FIlm

October marks the return of major releases coming out after the mid-level month of September. This slate of October is pretty promising compared to last year's weak slate. Here are my thoughts on all of October's wide releases.

Films I want to see:
3.Seven Psychopaths (10/12): The trailer is hilarious, the cast is excellent (You really can't go wrong with Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, and Colin Farrell), Martin McDonagh is a damn fine writer/director, and the early reviews have been very positive. Sounds like a winner to me.

2.Taken 2 (10/5)-Yes it does indeed look like more of the same, but I don't see the problem with that. The first one was a great movie and with the whole cast/writers back, I expect another fun ride in which Liam Nesson uses his particular set of skills to take out his abductors.

1.Argo (10/12)-Ben Affleck has made two brilliant films to start off his directing career and it looks like he has struck again with Argo. The cast is top-notch and the film looks to balance drama with bits of comedy thrown in. The early Oscar buzz is only adding to my excitement.

Film I'm unsure about:
Sinister (10/12)-It looks like it could be the first horror movie in some time that might actually scary, but the fact that it's from the producers of Paranormal Activity and Insidious has me a bit concerned. Hopefully I'm wrong because this film has a decent amount of potential.

Here Comes the Boom (10/12)-It looks better than most of Kevin James's recent projects, but I'm wary because of the quality of Kevin James's most recent projects. The MMA/underdog portion of it and the fact that it doesn't look like it's filled with the awful jokes that plagued Zookeeper and the second half of Paul Blart: Mall Cop might just make this the first worthwhile Kevin James vehicle in a while.

Chasing Mavericks (10/26)-Looks like your standard inspirational sports movie. Not offensive-looking, but nothing special either.

Cloud Atlas (10/26)-It's definitely slightly-interesting looking, but at the same time it might be too complex and just collapse. The Wachowski's being insanely inconsistent doesn't really help matters.

Films I have no interest in:
Frankenweenie (10/5)-As I've let it be known countless times, I hate Tim Burton so I naturally I have less than zero interest in seeing this.

Alex Cross(10/19)-Really cheesy trailer and Tyler Perry's presence is never a good sign.

Paranormal Activity 4(10/19)-Can this franchise just go away already?

Fun Size(10/26)-Relatively unfunny looking kids/teen Halloween film. At least it has an alright adult cast in it.

Silent Hill: Revelation (10/26)-I was surprised when I heard they were making a sequel to this. Unsurprisingly, it looks just as bad as the first one.





No comments:

Post a Comment