Thursday, January 31, 2013

February in Film

February continues January's trend of lower-level fare with some high-budget and/or high-concept fare thrown in for good measure. Here are my thoughts on the crop of February releases.

Films I want to see:
4.Snitch (2/22): I'm a fan of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as an actor and the concept of a dad becoming a drug mule to reduce his son's jail time is interesting. The supporting cast including Susan Sarandon, Barry Pepper and Michael Kenneth Williams is strong and the trailer makes it out to be a nail-biting and emotional thriller.

3.Side Effects (2/8):Director Steven Soderbergh and writer Scott Z.Burns team up for another interesting psychological medical thriller. It looks to be in the same eerie and scarily potentially realistic vein as their last project Contagion. I'm also intrigued to see how Rooney Mara follows up her breakout performance in  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and how Channing Tatum fares in a completely serious role.

2.Bullet to the Head (2/1): Sylvester Stallone's first non-ensemble, non-sequel leading role in a long time looks to be a fun, old-school action movie. I mean how can you wrong with Stallone axe fighting with Kal Drogo from Game of Thrones? If this is half as good as Schwarzenegger's comeback film, The Last Stand, I will be very satisfied.

1.A Good Day to Die Hard (2/14): Bruce Willis is my favorite actor and the Die Hard franchise is one of my favorites of all-time, so naturally I'm ecstatic for this to come out. The return to the R-rating of the first three films is a blessing and I'm expecting a big, badass, and elite action film.

Films I'm not sure about:
Warm Bodies (2/1): The cast (John Malkovich!) and the presence of writer/director Jonathan Levine is promising, but the Twilght-esque concept applied to zombies is raising a bit of a red flag. I'll probably catch it on DVD.

Identity Thief (2/8): Jason Bateman is very funny in everything he does, but this looks mediocre and Mellisa McCarthy appears to be very obnoxious in the lead role.

Dark Skies (2/22):This looks awful and painfully unintentionally funny at the same time. My love for unintentionally funny horror films will probably lead me to watching Dark Skies at some point in time.

Films I have zero interest in:
Beautiful Creatures (2/14): Looks like another standard tween fantasy/romance film that I will avoid like the plague at all costs.

Escape from Planet Earth (2/14): Haven't seen the trailer or any ad's for it, but the concept doesn't appeal to me.

Safe Haven (2/14)-The obligatory Valentine's Day Nicholas Sparks adaption *sigh* Cheesy romance is not my bag, so I won't be seeing this.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment