Monday, April 1, 2013

April in Film

April is the last month before the summer movie season and this April is particularly scare with only 6 wide releases hitting theaters (excluding the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park.) Despite the small number of releases, there are a few intriguing releases on the schedule. Here are my thoughts on the entire crop of April films.

Films I want to see:
3.Oblivion (4/19): Though I'm not entirely sure what it's about, Oblivion is intriguing to me. The effects looks stunning and the presence of Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman in the cast is promising for its quality.

2.Pain and Gain (4/26): The pairing of Dwayne "The Rock Johnson" and Mark Wahlberg in an action-comedy alone is enough to get me to see this. I'm also excited to see Michael Bay make his first non-big budget film in an almost a decade and the supporting cast including Anthony Mackie, Tony Shaloub, Rebel Wilson, Ed Harris and Ken Jeong is excellent. An added bonus is that the release of a red band trailer last week confirms this is rated R.

1.42 (4/12): I pretty much always love sports movies and the story of an icon like Jackie Robinson, who broke open racial barriers in baseball is a fascinating subject matter for a movie. The trailer makes it look like a triumphant celebration of Jackie Robinson's life and impact on baseball so hopefully the film delivers good on that promise.

Films I'm not sure about:
Evil Dead (4/5):This movie looks sufficiently screwed up and could be legitimately scary. The one thing that's preventing me from being completely sold on it is hit-or-miss screenwriter Diablo Cody being behind it. The reception has been solid so far though so I'm probably going to take the risk on it.

Films I have zero interest seeing in:
Scary Movie 5 (4/12): I liked all previous four Scary Movies. They were stupid, but they were all funny and were fun parody movies. Scary Movie 5 look neither funny nor fun and appears to be nothing more than a cheap cash-in to continue the series.

The Big Wedding (4/26): It does have a large and talented cast, but it's a really pedestrian-looking romantic comedies.


No comments:

Post a Comment