Saturday, September 17, 2011

Album Review: Textures-Dualism

The Netherlands's Textures has gotten a lot of hype over the years. I have never actually listened to them until this album. It's really a shame I didn't listen to them sooner. If Dualism is any indicator, Textures is a great band.

Textures reminds me a lot of Periphery and TesseracT. They mix groove with a lot of melodic undertones. What sets Textures apart from Periphery and TesseracT, is their incorporation of death metal elements in their music. The death metal parts aren't overly prominent, but they are used tastefully and effectively throughout the album. For the most part, this is just really, really good progressive metal. A big part of what make Textures special is the vocals. I can't say how Daniel de Jongh is compared to Textures's past vocalists, but this guy really impressed me. Jongh's vocals are stirring and completely chilling. His clean vocals and death metal-esque growls are equally impressive. The album's strongest tracks are driven by the mesmerising vocals. The instrumentation is almost as good as the vocals. They are able to create alot of atmospheric stuff that is really cool and intricate. I was kind of surprised how haunting the instruments were on this record, I really didn't expect that at all.

Dualism is a great fucking record. If you are a fan of Periphery or TesseracT or even Meshuggah (first time in a long time I have said a band sounded like Meshuggah), check out Textures ASAP. The blend of prog and bursts of groove and death metal provides a very eclectic sound that hooked me instantly. Their vocals and instruments deliver a haunting vibe that sticks with you after every listen. I am really glad I finally checked this band out, they are a great band and I need to check out their earlier material. Dualism is amongst the top tier of 2011 albums so far and during this excellent year for the metal, that is quite the accomplishment.

4/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.Reaching Home
2.Singularity
3.Arms Of The Sea  

No comments:

Post a Comment