Saturday, February 1, 2014

February in Film

February marks the middle of the transitional period between the Oscar fare of December and the spring tentpoles of March. Despite the month being riddled with mostly drivel, there are a few films that look to have some promise. Here are my thoughts on the all of the February releases. 

Films I want to see:
4.Welcome to Yesterday (2/28): Welcome to Yesterday kind of looks like Chronicle with time travel. Even if it doesn't match Chronicle in terms of quality, the concept of a group of teenagers discovering the ability of time travel is a cool enough concept to warrant a watch.

3.The Monuments Men (2/7): The Monuments Men was originally set for a December 2013 release date, which could potentially speak of its quality. The cast including Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Cate Blanchett and George Clooney, who also directs, is wildly talented and the story seems like it could be a unique approach to a war film. The Monuments Men has serious potential to be an early-year gem.

2.Non-Stop (2/28):Liam Nesson kicking ass on an airplane? Sign me up! The trailer is excellent and I'm just hoping Nesson can make up for the disaster that was Taken 2 with this.

1.Robocop (2/12): My excitement for Robocop is based more in principle than on any of the footage or trailers that I've seen. The original Robocop is the holy grail of 80's B-movies in my eyes so naturally I'm going to be intrigued by the remake. The PG-13 rating doesn't really throw me off too much, I'm just hoping that the film ends up being better than the trailers are making it out to be.

Films I'm not sure on:
The Lego Movie (2/7): I seem to be the only person not stoked on this one. I guess the fact that I never really played with Legos when I was kid doesn't give me any nostalgia towards this and the trailers/commercials I've seen have been just alright. Morgan Freeman playing some god-esque character and the 21 Jump Street team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller being behind this does give me some hope though.

3 Days to Kill (2/21): I don't really buy Kevin Costner as an action hero, but this does look like it could be an alright movie.

Films I have zero interest in:
Vampire Academy (2/7): Next attempt at launching a female-oriented fantasy/horror book series into the next Twilight mega-hit film franchise? I'll pass.

About Last Night (2/14):I love Kevin Hart, but this looks like an incredibly dumb and generic romantic comedy.

Endless Love (2/14): I could've sworn this was a Nicolas Sparks adaption, but it's actually a remake of a 1981 film and book that I've never heard of. I will say this does look a bit better than your typical sappy romantic drama, but that isn't nearly enough for me to even consider seeing it.

Winter's Tale (2/14): Another sappy fantasy romantic drama. Even the presence of Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connolly doesn't sell me on this one.

Pompeii (2/21): John Snow in a cheap-looking disaster flick about the eruption of Mount Vesuvius from the director of the Resident Evil franchise doesn't seem like a good time at the movies to me.

Sons of God (2/28): Nothing beats religious propaganda movies getting a wide release. I'll wait till Noah in March to get my religious movie fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment