Friday, July 21, 2023

Whacky Double Features

Barbenheimer is finally upon us as many brave souls out there head to see Barbie and Oppenheimer in theaters on the same day this weekend. In the spirit of this momentous occasion that will probably be the last piece of good news the movie business receives until the studios are forced to stop being greedy, idiotic clowns who have no respect for the people that allow their executives to pull down such obscene salaries and bring an end to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes by paying these creatives what their worth among other things, I decided to compile a list of some of my favorite double features consisting of two radically different films that I've done over the years. It should be noted that many of them of are very recent as the majority of the double features that I've done in my life have been since I became an AMC Stubs A-List member in October 2018. Hope you enjoy this quick goofy ode to clashing double features and if you're partaking in Barbenheimer, good luck to you and have fun.

The List:

Red Dawn/Silver Linings Playbook

I, Frankenstein/Her* (This is a bit of a cheat as I spent about 8 hours at the theater on this day as my friend was working there at the time and also saw significant portions of Hunger Games: Catching Fire and American Hustle as a result of being there for so long, but these were the 2 films I saw from start to finish on that day.) 

The Hateful Eight/Daddy's Home 

Blade Runner 2049/Happy Death Day

Ant-Man and the Wasp/Sorry to Bother You

The Kid Who Would Be King/Serenity

Captain Marvel/Climax (My personal favorite. Immediately going from the formulaic safety of an MCU movie to the deeply disturbing psychedelic's grime of a Gaspar Noe from is just beautiful.) 

Child's Play/Toy Story 4 

Bombshell/Jumanji: The Next Level  

Space Jam: A New Legacy/Pig

Don't Breathe 2/Free Guy

Venom: Let There Be Carnage/Titane  

The Last Duel/Halloween Kills

Spencer/Ron's Gone Wrong

Ghostbusters: Afterlife/C'mon C'mon

The Worst Person in the World/Moonfall

Three Thousand Years of Longing/Barbarian    

Halloween Ends/TAR

Black Adam/Till  

Armageddon Time/Ticket to Paradise

She Said/The Menu  

M3GAN/Women Talking

Knock at the Cabin/Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Kandahar/You Hurt My Feelings

No comments:

Post a Comment