Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Album Review: Bring Me The Horizon-There Is A Hell,Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret

Before I even start writing this review, I must state that I despise Bring Me The Horizon. I have heard their previous 2 records multiple times because a few of my friends are fans. I have given their music countless chances to grow on me but I can never get past their horrendous vocals, boring songs and laughable lyrics. There Is A Hell, Believe I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Lets Keep It A Secret I listened to under somewhat different circumstances. I heard some of it with my BMTH loving friends and due to the acclaim it has been getting, I listened the rest of it myself. This record surprised me, but it wasn't really a good surprise.

Upon first listen, I must say this is the most mature Bring Me The Horizon record to date. The lyrics are not nearly as dumb for the most part and unlike their prior record Suicide Season .which changed their sound for popularity purposes, they changed their sound a bit to try something new that is less accsessible. I commend them on that aspect of the record, they weren't catering to their mostly scene kid, invisible ninja fighting fan base. Another positive surprise was that I actually liked a couple songs on this record. To be honest, I did not enjoy a single second of their previous two records. "Home Sweet Hole" is the crowning acheivement on this record. It shines through with a melo-death style riff and a really catchy gang shouted chrous. It's a pretty damn good track. The other song that I enjoyed was the chaotic closer "The Fox and The Wolf". It's energetic,brief and heavy.

Outside of those two tracks, there really isn't much to like. Oli Skyes is still one of the worst vocalists in metal and he really should not try to do clean vocals. "Don't Go", the ballad of this album is highly laughable because of Sykes's vocals. This track could have worked for a more skilled vocalist but Sykes's incompentency really brings it down. "Don't Go" is not alone in the dud department. "Crucify Me" and "It Never Ends" are just as awful. "Crucify Me" drags along at almost six and a half minutes and features an out of the blue, awful, electronica section and a horrific guest appearance from Canadian singer Lights, who tries to add this haunting vibe to an already stale track, but it comes off really bad. "It Never Ends" tries to be the anti-Bring Me The Horizon, Bring Me The Horizon song with the slow sections and choir. Instead, it just becomes one of the worst songs they have ever recorded with its annoying synths and emo vibe. Bring Me The Horizon doesn't lose its Suicide Season sound on a couple of tracks like "Aligator Blood" and "Blacklisted" which are just as awful and generic as the dogshit material on Suicide Season.

Even though there is some growth on this record, Bring Me The Horizon is still a weak band. Oli Sykes is still a trash vocalist and most of the songs on here are bad. To Bring Me The Horizon's credit, I never thought I would enjoy a single song by them ever and there are a couple of good tracks on here but for the most part, there isn't much to like here. This might be Bring Me The Horizon's best effort to date, but it still fucking sucks.
1.5/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.Home Sweet Hole
2.The Fox and The Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment