Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Movie Review: Jackass 3D


The 10th anniversary of the debut of the MTV series Jackass was this year, and to commemorate an unprecedented decade of stupid stunts, the creators went out and made their third feature film, eight years after the show went off the air. Though the content and spirit of the show haven't changed much, what Jackass 3 brings to the table is something that none of its predecessors did: the element of 3D. And let me tell you, 3D is honestly the greatest thing to ever happen to Jackass.

You pretty much know what you're getting into when you buy a ticket to this film, which is yet another series of immature stunts and pranks. And though the players may are approaching middle-age, Jackass 3D shows that they haven't lost their touch at all, and I don't see the franchise losing steam any time soon. The stunts and antics in this film are just as funny now as they were a decade ago; if fact, many of the stunts were so funny I was actually in tears. I won't give the best ones away, but I will say that one of them involves a toy train set and... well, fecal matter. The 3D aspect is just amazing, and is among the best uses of 3D that I have seen in a film. I would even go so far as to say that Jackass, as a concept, was just begging to be mated with 3D, and I'm glad that the filmmakers decided to incorporate it.

There's really not much else to say. If you liked the previous installments of Jackass, you will love this. If you didn't, stay far far away from it. It is stupid, offensive, and juvenile, and one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. I can only hope that Johnny Knoxville and his posse of more-balls-than-brains friends continue to make them, because I'm sure they have a lot more material left to show us.

4.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment