Monday, November 7, 2011

Movie Review: Madea's Big Happy Family (Film Number 27 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

Now that I've seen a Tyler Perry film I can understand why he gains so much criticism. It's an absolute mystery how his films could be so wildly popular, yet are demeaning towards it's target audience. Although Madea's Big Happy Family is the first Tyler Perry film I've seen, I can now tell what his movies are about. His films are filled with negative stereotypes, poor writing, and a muddled mess of unfunny comedy and over-the-top melodrama.  It's kind hard to have a film that's supposed to teach values and have characters that the audience identifies with the characters when the characters are about as realistic as an alien in a sc-fi film. If there are people like the characters in this film, I would be beyond shocked. It's not only the characters that don't seem real, it's also the situations they get into. I am sure there are things that are similar that happen in real life, just not to such a melodramatic and ridiculous extent.Every situation is so extreme, there is just no sense of realism to anything. This is apparently Tyler Perry's best film and if that is the case, I don't want to imagine his worst work. Madea's Big Happy Family is a racist, unrealistic, and just plain awful film. The comedy sections aren't funny and the melodrama is so overdone it's preposterous. Madea's Big Happy Family is near the bottom of 2011 films at this point in time and I don't really see that changing by the end of the year.

1/5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment