Saturday, November 12, 2011

Movie Review: The Change-Up

The body-swap comedy has been around for quite some time (although I don't believe there has been one since the Freaky Friday remake), but I doubt there is one even close to as vulgar as The Change-Up. Hell, I haven't even seen that many films that are more vulgar than The Change-Up in my lifetime. This is not one for the easily offended or those with a weak stomach. This really is a hard film to critique, I haven't flip-flopped my opinion on a film this much while watching in it a long, long time. It's kind of odd how much I enjoyed considering how flawed it is. The jokes are heavily hit-or miss, but when they hit, they are hilarious. The humor in this film is definitely crude, low-brow stuff, but my ability to appreciate dumb humor helped me enjoy. The biggest asset of the The Change-Up though is how it's able to mix it's high level of vulgarity with a surprising amount of heart. That really caught me surprise and really enhanced my enjoyment of the film. Also aiding my enjoyment, was the chemistry of Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds. They are both strong comedic actors and their different styles complimented each other very well. Despite it's flaws, I ended up enjoying The Change-Up. The laughs, although not non-stop, are big when they come. The surprising heart of this film also boosted the quality. It's by no means a great or particularly memorable comedy, but it did manage to be enjoyable enough to make it worth seeing.

3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment