Thursday, August 1, 2013

August in Film

August sees the summer movie season finally coming to a close. There is a solid number of films I'm interested in and will hopefully lead to a series of films that close out the summer on a high note. Here are my thoughts on the entire slate of August films.

Films I want to see:
5.The World's End (8/23):Simon Pegg and Nick Frost re-teaming for a sci-fi horror comedy? Count me in! If it even comes close to rivaling the genius of Shaun of the Dead, audiences will be in for a treat.

4.We're the Millers (8/7):The red-band trailer/concept are hilarious and the cast including Jason Sudekis, Jennifer Aniston, Ed Helms and Nick Offerman are proven comedy vets. Not to mention Rawson Marshall Thurder (Dodgeball) is in the director's chair and the writing team is responsible for such films as Wedding Crashers, Hot Tub Time Machine and She's Out of My League. 2013 is desperate for another great comedy and on paper, We're the Millers seems like a winner.

3.2 Guns (8/2):The combo of Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg is already enough to pique my interest, but this movie just looks like a lot of fun and seems like it has a definitive old-school buddy flick vibe to it.

2.Elysium (8/9):Neil Bloomkamp's long-awaited follow-up to District 9 looks like a winner. Matt Damon is one of the more consistent actors in Hollywood and the class divide concept looks interesting. Bloomkamp is one of the most intriguing directors out there right now and until he lets me down, I'll be excited for every one of his projects.

1.Kick-Ass 2 (8/16): Kick-Ass is one of my favorite movies of all-time, so naturally I'm stoked on the sequel. Everything I've seen so far looks fantastic (Jim Carrey looks like he owned the role of Colonel Stars and Stripes) so I'm hoping this is another badass action-comedy that does the legacy of the original proud.

Films I'm not sure on:
Lee Daniels' The Butler (8/16):This seems like an interesting story (especially since it's true,) but nothing I've seen on it so far has too excited and the many-generational storyline could get messy. If the reception is good, I'll give it a watch.

Paranoia (8/16):The concept seems kind of cool and Gary Oldman is good in everything, the trailer just looks pretty average to me.

You're Next (8/23):It looks just alright, but the reception on the festival circuit has been incredible touting it as one of the best horror films in recent memory. I'm willing to check it out at some point, I just don't want to buy into the hype on another well-received horror film and end up wanting to rip my eyes out while watching it (a la Evil Dead.)

Closed Circuit (8/28): Haven't seen the trailer yet.

Getaway (8/30): Same as Closed Circuit. 

Film I have zero interest in:
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (8/7): It doesn't look overly bad, I just never the saw first one and don't really care about seeing this one.

Planes (8/9): Disney's aerial answer to Cars: I'll pass.

Jobs (8/16):Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs is simply hilarious to me and it looks pretty damn bad to me. I think I'll wait till the Aaron Sorkin Steve Jobs bio pic for my fix of hearing the life story of the Apple CEO.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (8/21): Looks like a sightly more tolerable version of Twilight plus Lilly Collins is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen on film.

One Direction: This is Us (8/30): Just no.

No comments:

Post a Comment