Sunday, January 31, 2016

An Ode to Calvin Johnson Jr.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier today that wide receiver Calvin Johnson Jr. has informed the Detroit Lions that he is going to retire. While this report hasn't been confirmed by Johnson or the Lions yet, it would not be a shocking move as Johnson has been pondering retirement since the regular season ended on January 3rd. I think I speak for a majority of millennial football fans out there when I say that Johnson was the greatest receiver I've ever seen play. His combination of physicality and freakish speed/athleticism for his size (6'5, 239 lbs) made him a nightmare for opposing defenses to cover and a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball. Although there are no shortage of excellent receivers with Hall-of-Fame potential currently in the league, I doubt we'll ever see a wide receiver as well-rounded and consistently dominant as Johnson ever again. Thanks for the memories Megatron and I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment