Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Best and Worst of John Cho

The "Best and Worst" series profiles the best and worst work of an actor starring in one of the week's new theatrical releases. This week I take a look at the filmography of "Columbus" star John Cho.

Films starring John Cho that I've seen:
American Pie 
American Pie 2
Down to Earth 
Big Fat Liar
American Wedding
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay
Star Trek
A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas
American Reunion
Total Recall 
Identity Thief
Star Trek Into Darkness
Grandma
Get a Job
Star Trek Beyond 

Best Performance: Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)
While Cho earned his fair share of laughs in the American Pie trilogy, he didn't really standout until he secured his first-ever leading role in the cult stoner comedy classic Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Cho's stern yet likable demeanor and electric chemistry with co-star Kal Penn made them one of the most believable, well-balanced best friend duos I've ever seen in a comedy. 
 
Worst Performance: Total Recall (2012)
Cho is such a consistently pleasant screen presence that I have to dub a very small role in a decent yet pretty forgettable movie as his worst. I didn't buy him at all as the arrogant, crap-pedaling salesman for the titular memory-implanting corporation in the remake of the 1990 Arnold Schwarznegger sci-fi/action classic.

Best Film: Star Trek (2009)
With Zoe Saldana and Chris Pine being profiled here recently, the movie gods have forced me into situations where I have to repeatably praise the hell of this movie over the past few months. While I'll spare you from yet another expansive lovefest, I will say that this reboot of Star Trek is an elite film that contains (great action, fun tone, charismatic characters, engaging plot, solid jokes) everything I want of a blockbuster.  

Worst Film: Identity Thief (2013) 
 I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pretty easily amused individual. There's not a whole lot of comedies that come along, especially of the R-rated variety, that I don't find at least somewhat enjoyable (for example: I liked widely-panned shit like Dirty Grandpa, That's My Boy and Let's Be Cops). Identity Thief is one of the rare exceptions to this rule. The usually great Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy are nothing short of insufferable in this lazy-ass road trip movie that is pretty much completely devoid of any funny dialogue or situations.

Thank you for reading this week's installment of "The Best and Worst of". Next week, I'll take a look at the best and worst work of "The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature" star Bobby Canavale.

No comments:

Post a Comment