Friday, March 20, 2020

Top 20 Albums of the 2010's: #20-19

Movies are in the can, so it's time to finally move onto music. In the coming weeks, I'll be dropping my picks for the top 20 albums of the 2010's starting today with #20-19 as well as the 5 honorable mentions that just missed the cut. Stay tuned and hope you enjoy!

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):
Entheos-Dark Future (2017)
The Faceless-Autotheism (2012)
Kvelertak-Kvelertak (2010)
Revocation-Revocation (2013)
Travis Scott-Astroworld (2018)

20.Deftones-Diamond Eyes (2010):
As I was getting into metal as a teenager, Deftones was a band that I kind of hated. Saturday Night Wrist put me to sleep and "Minerva" frequently drove me insane while logging dozens of hours on NHL 04. Initially, that anti-Deftones bias forced me to ignore Diamond Eyes. However after a couple months of hype (this record leaked online WAY ahead of its May release date) stemming from fans online, I caved and checked it out. This proved to be a superb decision as Diamond Eyes clicked with me right away. Combining signature extreme music properties (pummeling heavy riffs, chaotic shrieks, breakdowns) with breathtaking melodies and full blown shoegaze-inspired ballads is a recipe for metal that is beautiful as it is crushing. Plus this record also inspired me to go back and check out their early discography, which proved to be a gift that I'll be eternally grateful for.
Top Tracks: 1.You've Seen the Butcher 2.Royal 3.Risk  

19.Every Time I Die-Ex Lives (2012):
Consistent quality output is as big of a part of Every Time I Die's brand as wrestling and the city of Buffalo are. Although they've got a deep, gem-filled catalog, Ex Lives shines brightest of all. The energy is through the roof, Keith Buckley's lyrics are at their sarcastic best and the riff buffet served up by Jordan Buckley and Andy Williams is even more robust than usual.   
Top Tracks: 1.Partyting is Such Sweet Sorrow 2.I Suck (Blood) 3.Indian Giver 

No comments:

Post a Comment