Sunday, February 20, 2011

Album Review: Emmure-Speaker Of The Dead


As an aspiring professional reviewer, sometimes you have to listen to things by artists you can't stand. In some past experiences, I have been pleasantly surprised and my views of a band have changed substantially(most notably Suicide Silence and Annotations Of An Autopsy with their most recent releases). In other situations, the artists just reinforces why I hate them so much. With Speaker Of The Dead, Emmure falls in the latter category.
Speaker Of The Dead is just an embarrassing record. I could tell about 5 seconds into the record that I was going to be in for one of the most unpleasant listening experiences in years. "Children Of Cybertron" starts with the Emmure trademark. Squeaking guitars, laughable lyrics and of course, Frankie Palmeri's rapping descending into awful screaming. This was the only beginning of the 38 minute ear-rape that is otherwise known as Speaker Of The Dead. During the first 6 tracks, I kept looking at my Ipod to see if the song had changed. Every thing sounds exactly the fucking same. Every track has an inhuman amount of horrible breakdowns with various noises that sound like the helicopter killstreaks from Call Of Duty to mask their utter lack of talent. Emmure finally throws a curveball with a slow intro on "Bohemian Grove" before going straight back into the typical Emmure squeak orgy. The record keeps moving along at a snail's pace then the impossible happens, they top themselves in the shit department with the sure to be classic "Drug Dealer Friend". You know you are a lyrical genius when your song keeps repeating the phrase "I wanna watch you suck his dick. I know you fucking love it bitch". This seriously might be the worst set of lyrics Emmure has ever written and that's saying something. This is a band that has basically made a career on shit lyrics and they have topped them all with "Drug Dealer Friend".
Speaker Of The Dead is an absolute joke of a record. It's so full of faux-brutality and grade A douchebaggery that it's equal parts pathetic, sad, and unintentionally hysterical. Emmure is like if Limp Bizkit wanted to attempt to be "extreme". Emmure's brand of deathcore should be dubbed "wigger slam".It's music for wigger hXc bros, made my wigger hXc bros. Speaker Of The Dead should be used as a torture device. It's emotionally, psychologically, and physically painful to listen to. Emmure has topped themselves and made the worst metal record I have heard in full in years, if I could I rate it negative stars I would. Speaker Of The Dead is an absolute lock for worst album of 2011. Congratulations Emmure, you are a fucking disgrace to the entire metal community and you have made a landmark piece of shit.
0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment