Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Album Review: I, The Breather-These Are My Sins



Sumerian Records has made quite the stamp on the metal world the past few years. Sumerian's roster(for the most part) has become known for their young, technically precise metal/deathcore bands. Some metal insiders have been dubbed these bands as "Sumerian Core". I, The Breather is Sumerian's latest signing and their debut, These Are My Sins, is a mixed bag.



The main issue I had with These Are My Sins, is the lack of originality. This band is pretty much a complete rip-off of August Burns Red mixed in with traces of their labelmates Born Of Osiris. There really isn't too much creativity on this album. The whole sound is just really stale and has been done a better a million times before. Another problem is the vocals. Their vocalist isn't really that good and his screaming really doesn't suit their style well.
On the positive side, I, The Breather is a talented group of dudes instrumentally. There are some pretty solid guitarwork throughout the album. The guitarwork really brings up the quality of the album. The production is also really solid, especially for a debut album. The mix is great.
I, The Breather is a young band that definitely has talent they just need to try make their sound a little more interesting. Their sound really isn't original at all and heavily borrows from other bands that do the same thing but a lot better. I, The Breather has a lot of potential, they just aren't really living up to it on These Are My Sins. This is a band that I will be watching closely over the years, they could develop into something special.
2.5/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.High Rise
2.Crown Me King
3.Doomsday

No comments:

Post a Comment