Thursday, June 23, 2011

Album Review: The Crimson Armada-Conviction

The Crimson Armada was a band that caught my attention a couple of years ago at New England Metal and Hardcore Festival. They played very early in the day on the main stage and put on one hell of a show. I met them later and I had a pretty long conversation with them. They were some of the nicest and most humble musicians I have ever met. Their debut record, Guardians , was quite good and it showcased the potential they had as a band. That is why it completely pains me to say that their new record Conviction is one of the worst records I have heard in years.

Conviction left a bad taste in my mouth months ago when the title track was released, but I held out hope anyways. Sadly, my fears came true. The Crimson Armada has become one of the most boring and terrible bands on the scene. I have heard a lot of people talk about the hate on this album because of the "new sound" and I would have to agree. Personally, I have no issue with a band changing sound when it's to advance their music, but The Crimson Armada's music has taken monster steps back. The technicality of the first record has been completely sidelined for tedious breakdowns that wear out their welcome out by the end of the first song. Then thrown in the unnecessary estrogen-charged clean vocals that every single post-hardcore band uses. The clean vocals on Conviction are vomit-inducing. Just when I didn't think it could get any worse, they started using the same rapping style that Emmure uses on "Composed Of Stone". That was the last straw for this album. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's completely jaw-dropping how much this band has gone backwards with their sound.

Conviction is completely awful. It sounds like the lovechild of Emmure and A Skylit Drive(or any of the other dime-a-dozen whiny post-hardcore bands out there). I didn't think it was possible for The Crimson Armada to go down the tubes like this. This is some of the most uninspired, bland garbage I have heard in a long time. This band had a lot of potential and they are a great group of dudes, it's a shame to see them make as a big of a stinker as Conviction.

1/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment