Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Album Review: Devin Townsend Project-Ghost

As I said when I reviewed Devin Townsend's other new album, Deconstruction, Devin Townsend is one of the most unpredictable musicians around. His explorations across the musical spectrum are unmatched by anyone else in the music industry. That's why it pains to me to say that Ghost is the first Devin Townsend album that I don't enjoy.

Ghost is easily the most mellow Devin Townsend record to date. I was actually pretty excited to hear Ghost at first. I was very intrigued to hear his take on acoustic, ambient music. Unfortunately Ghost is a pretty damn boring record to listen to. The diversity of Townsend's music is completely abandoned here. This is such a one-dimensional and dull record. Every song sounds just about the same and drags on for a long time. It's extremely repetitive, lyrically and musically. I kept thinking it was going to get better, but it never really did. It just continued to drag and bore the living hell out of me. I never thought I would call a Devin Townsend record boring, but Ghost is just that.

Ghost just didn't click for me. I am sure there are a lot of people that will love it, but I just found this to be a really uninteresting listen. I don't what it is, maybe it's not my cup of tea, but I really didn't find much to like here. It's not like the music is hear is completely awful, it's just that I just didn't enjoy it. Ghost is the first Devin Townsend record to date that I haven't enjoyed. I will continue to listen to Deconstruction and his other works frequently, but I don't think I will ever listen to Ghost again.

2/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Ghost could be one of the best albums of 2011. Read my full review here!

    ReplyDelete